SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys been thinking about a new headunit for a while. I can't seem to find definite answers about what can and can't fit in the current spot. NG 900 with no flip out cup holders and analog clock. All the forums are usually about 93's with the cup holder.
Will a normal double din fit width and hight wise I know it has to be short. Does the factory amp need to be bypassed? Crutchfield says some digital receiver double din fit and some don't. Has anyone done this have photos?

·
Registered
10,881 Posts
You can put a double-DIN head unit in a NG900, but since you don't have quite as much height as you do in a 9-3 with the cup holder removed, you can't use a standard double-DIN trim ring. You basically have to cut off the top and make it u-shaped. Depth is also a little bit of an issue. I used to have a Pioneer AVIC F700 in my '97 900, and the wiring was very tight. I had to pull out the ACC panel, pull the wiring down below the radio, slide it in, and then make sure the wiring didn't interfere with the ACC panel. Now I have a cheap Pioneer double-DIN media receiver, which is very shallow, about half the depth of a standard double-DIN head unit. There are no issues with wiring with that one, and I was able to use a pre-made Pioneer to ISO adapter from Amazon to wire it up. You can also keep the factory amp, but you have to be handy with a soldering iron and make up an adapter cable that converts the factory DIN plug to a pair of RCA jacks and a turn-on lead, which connects to the amp or antenna trigger on the head unit. I have my door speaker amp hooked up the subwoofer output on my head unit, which works great.

This is an old post I made on the subject, but unfortunately the pictures no longer work:

Another great source of information on audio upgrades for these cars is Richard Bevan's Saab Audio Guide:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.