SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a '97 9000 CSE in February. A few times since then, the warning light for the headlights has shown, and I've been driving almost blind. The last time this happened, I merely turned them off and on again which solved it.

I have also noticed that if I operate the windows, the headlights will dim. As designed? Oh, and my high beams work without a glitch.

I will try to clean the contacts for the relay. Is there anything else I should do or check?

· Registered
177 Posts

· Registered
2,046 Posts
I did this solder job before. It was tough. The crack was in between two stabs. Trying to solder the original would just cause another gap. The root cause is that the carrier board - that the circuit is printed on - is cracked. It will fail again soon.

Just go to the junkyard. They (the salvage yards) are loaded with Saabs right now. I think it's because steel is currently wicked cheap, and Saabs are probably some of the heaviest cars on the road (the 9000's anyway). When metal prices spike again - well... they'll all get crushed.

Again - just my thoughts.

· Registered
177 Posts
Guess it depends on the case. I soldered mine (both), took 15 minutes and all lights have been working great since.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, I will look for a replacement part. I'm tempted to do a little soldering, but not until I have a spare part I can practice on first... (not legal to drive without headlights here)

A follow-up question though: Does the relay have separate circuitry for each lamp? I stopped at a gas station this evening, and after cleaning windshield + lamps I started the engine and one of the lamps was out. After five seconds it kicked in and stayed on for most of the trip... Usually I lose both lamps, but this time definitively only the one.

· Registered
177 Posts
Yep. When I had the issue it was only one lamp.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.