SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I have a quick question, I was wondering if my 99 9-5 v6 headlights could handle more than the recomended 55 watts without causing any damage to anything? Any advice on the situation would be greatly apreciated!!

X

·
0 Posts
Hi 99, I run 100watt full beam rally bulbs. I have done this for about 6 months and touch wood havn't melted anything yet. Really it is a bit naughty and inviting problems but its just so damn dark where I live. Just remember your local laws as in the UK this is illegal. If you are after a better light output try a bulb like the Osram Silverstars they arnt cheap but the light output is fantastic. I tried a number of different bulbs and these really are superb..

Finn :)

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Finn, you probably get away with 100 watt bulbs on main beam beacuse they are not used for long protracted periods. The current draw will cause wiring to heat up more than specification and could be a fire risk. I wouldn't recommend using higher wattage bulbs for the main headlights.

From the Saab handbook....
CAUTION. Do not interchange. Always use the correct Wattage bulb according to application.

Best compromise as Finn already said is some Osram Silverstars.:cool:

X

·
0 Posts
Kermits 9-5 said:
Finn, you probably get away with 100 watt bulbs on main beam beacuse they are not used for long protracted periods. The current draw will cause wiring to heat up more than specification and could be a fire risk
I agree 100% K.

·
Registered
431 Posts
55 watt is about 4.58 amps, and 100watt is about 8.33 amps but i would expect that the saab lighting circuits would have been designed to allow for the highest wattage bulb type that fits in the attachment and if this is not so, then the worst that should happen is that you blow a fuse.

Any sensible designer would size the fuses or circuit breakers to trip out before any damage is caused by overheating to wiring or switchgear. The wires and switchgear should be able to handle the full fuse rated amperes at all times even up to trip state. This is the intended function of a fuse or breaker.

But dont take my word for it as you never know with some electrical designs:nono;

·
Registered
289 Posts
I've got 80watt dipped beam in mine, and PIAA Extreme White high beams, these draw only 55watts but produce 130watts. Its like the sun came up all at once.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts