SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Only my low-beams work right now. If I hit a big enough bump the highs work, but only until you switch back to low... So I pulled the relay and one of the terminals is pretty fried. Time for a new one.

I'd rather not pay $80 dollars for one, so it's off to scour the parts yard.

Here's the relay

Here's where it goes into the fusebox.

And here's some gratuitous dirty engine pron.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
it looks like my sons - check the wiring on the underside of the relay block before you replace it - that melted plastic doesn't bode well for a new $80 relay

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Hmmm. You wouldn't happen to be using higher wattage bulbs would you? Like a 80/100w set? That will heat up the prongs and melt plastic. I'll bet the plugs to your actual bulbs insside the headlight are melted too! Check your bulbs before putting a new relay in!

Good luck,
-Rob

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mini- update

went to the garage for some quality time with the mechs. and by bending the prong that I thought melted the highbeams are back.

They also asked about the bulbs being higher wattage. As far as I can tell they have been in my car since god knows when. old bulbs, but i only replaced them with whatever the sylvania application guide said when i bought them. so i doubt they are too high, and they not melted at the bulb connection.

Good point Steve, (mechs also brought that up too ;) ) so i'll be popping off the fuse box tomorrow and poke around some. its just 2 allen screws holding it down right??

thanks guys

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
DanF. said:
Good point Steve, (mechs also brought that up too ;) ) so i'll be popping off the fuse box tomorrow and poke around some. its just 2 allen screws holding it down right??
I believe so - my memory ain't what it used to be :roll: . Glad you got it resolved. Jr wasn't running "hot" bulbs either - just plain Ossrams (spelling approximate) - perhaps it's planned obsolescence, that 19-20 years out Saab's headlights would crap out ....:eek: . My '85 had no such problem (and a different relay configuration).

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think my car must have locked eyes with a ricer running HIDs. It's like staring into the eyes of a hungry cobra.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
It's also possible that corrosion somewhere along your headlite wiring (particularly connectors and grounds) would raise resistance enough to act like a higher wattage draw bulb. Whatever it is, you want to find the problem before it heats up again...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts