SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while ago i decided to have a go at sorting my headlights out, the usuall yellowing of the reflectors had become so bad that they wernt up to much at all. i searched all over for a chrome spray that was actually anything like chrome and didnt find any.
In the end i bought a roll of self adhesive 'mirror finish' vinyl from my local hardware store, i was unsure if it would work or not but it was very thin and only a couple of quid.
I cut out the 4 or 5 sections using card templates and stuck it on slowly and using a hair dryer and stiff paintbrush it sat in all the grooves perfectly.
That was 2 years ago now and i just had to change a headlight glass today and was amazed that the reflectors are still perfect, the guy that did my mot reckoned they were the best lights he'd ever seen on a 9000:)

Total cost £3.99....... alot less than a new light:cheesy:

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok I did take some pics, will have a look for them and post them here:cheesy:

btw the stuff is called self adhesive mirror film and i got it from B&Q in the wallpaper section.

i tried it the blue peter way but it looked stupid with an egg box stuck in there lol.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Thanks

If it results in a clean cut-off horizontal line and reasonable focusing centre beam there will be a lots of interest. I'm a 3M shareholder, I should check if they make such a tape because if they do it will be the best quality.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cant locate the pics at the moment, its dead simple though,

take glass off

clean reflector make card templates using cereal box

mark up and cut the 9 sections of mirror film allowing a 2 or 3mm overlap(you need 9 to do dip and main)

the top and bottom of the reflector are ribbed and you will need to warm the film and smooth it into the ribs using a stiff paint brush

warm the side peices and apply with a soft cloth as they are curved.

using a new craft knife trim up the overlap by cutting into the corners.

it is a bit fiddly especially cutting around the bulb housing but be patient and make sure there are no creases or air bubbles

put lamp back together nad check out the difference:cheesy:

i'll take some pics of my lights on the car tomorrow.
regards luke

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
sorry guys,i've been away from home for a while and not had access to my pc. i'm back now so will get on it:cheesy:

·
Super Moderator EMERITUS
8,806 Posts
I wonder if it was an adhesive mylar. Does that ring a bell? I had to make a bunch of sunglasses display stands with it years ago when I worked for a plastic product manufacturer.

This guy made a solar collector with the stuff.. http://www.heliotrack.com/Parabolic.html

·
Registered
565 Posts
I've been looking EVERYWHERE for self adhesive mirror film, but this stuff is rarer than rockin' horse poo :x

All I can seem to find is window tint, which is not what I need.

So...

How 'bout those pics :D

·
Super Moderator EMERITUS
8,806 Posts
I've been looking EVERYWHERE for self adhesive mirror film, but this stuff is rarer than rockin' horse poo :x
All you need to do is open your phone book yellow pages and find a plastic manufacturer/distributor/fabricator/welder etc. Call them up, you'll be looking for something like an adhesive Mylar or something with a mirror like finish. If they don't have it, they'll know someone who does.

·
Registered
7 Posts
thats the ebay price if you go to 9000 parts direct he`ll do them cheaper as i have had a set a few months now. fully rebuilt no need to do any stripping of the light just swop them over. very pleased with them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not read the Ts & Cs about traders on this site yet but you can find some contact details for me from those ebay listings. Forum members can buy a pair of lights for less than £150 mainly as we dont have to worry about fees as much when dealing off ebay.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I got tired of looking for self-adhesive mirror film (seriously, I called sticker companies, DIY shops, 'tuning' shops... no dice), so I bought a rol of chrome window tint and went at it.

Old reflector, silver comes off with the touch of a finger

Cut out a paper template to fit in the reflector

One roll of chrome window tint

Cut accordingly

Put in reflector.

Now this would've worked, the mirror finish of the film is absolutely spotless and more than reflective enough for this purpose...

However, it all went downhill from there. I removed all existing silver so the entire reflector was just yellow plastic.
Unfortunately, when I tried to glue the film (it's not self-adhesive) to the reflector I couldn't get it to follow the reflector shape.
Since the film isn't very flexible there were bubbles everywhere, which in itself wouldn't be a problem if the glue sticked to the plastic enough... which it didn't.
I tried again with a layer of TEC7, with the same results. It just doesn't 'stick' to the plastic enough to iron out all the bubbles and crests :(

back to square 1 I guess :roll:

·
Registered
58 Posts
However, it all went downhill from there. I removed all existing silver so the entire reflector was just yellow plastic.
Unfortunately, when I tried to glue the film (it's not self-adhesive) to the reflector I couldn't get it to follow the reflector shape.
Since the film isn't very flexible there were bubbles everywhere, which in itself wouldn't be a problem if the glue sticked to the plastic enough... which it didn't.
I tried again with a layer of TEC7, with the same results. It just doesn't 'stick' to the plastic enough to iron out all the bubbles and crests :(

back to square 1 I guess :roll:
I wouldn't give up there......use some fresh vinyl and try some spray-on contact adhesive - the kind you have to apply to both parts and leave for 5mins before sticking the two bits together, will stick almost anything!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts