SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know... there are already hundreds of threads about headlights. Unfortunately I can't find a clear-cut answer in the ones I read.

I have an 03 Linear SS. I have no idea if it is a launch car or not (don't even know how to tell). The light (or lack of) produced from the headlights is HORRIBLE! It is very yellow and does not project very far at all. I have a very hard time seeing at night becasue of this.

The high beams are EXCELLENT! They light up the entire area... I feel I can see for miles with them on. It appears they have a blueish tint to them, but not possitive.

My question has a couple of parts...

1) How do I tell what type of lights I have (i.e. Hallogen, Xenon, etc...)
2) What can I put in a 9-3SS that requires no conversion... just plug-n-play. I would prefer a simple bulb swap. It seems there is some confusion as to whether 9-3s use H4 or H7.

I really want something that lays down some light. I like the headlights with the blue tint (Xenon?) as it seems like it is much easier on the eyes than the harsh white/yellow lights.

I know little to nothing about headlights, so please keep it simple!

Thanks!

Rob

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Before you buy I would suggest looking at this site. www.danielsternlighting.com for some excellent technical discussion.

1) old bulbs lose their brightness as the age. New bulbs of the same kind will perform better.
2) blue lights get their colour from a coating on the bulb. This always reduces light output compared to the same non-coated bulb.
3) your wiring harness may be compromised and delivering less voltage. This greatly reduces light output. You can test for this with a multi-meter. The process is on the linked site.
4) an old lens may be scuffed and pitted reducing light output and focus.

If you don't have auto-leveling (lights dip down then up) when you start the car, then you don't have HID.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok... there is some good information on there, but I still have questions.

My lights do not auto level. So how do I determine what type of lights I have? How many different types of lights are the 9-3's sold with? From what I hear it's 3???

According to the documentation provided by the dealer, the previous owner had the "halogens" (again... according to dealers documentation) changed about 2 years ago. I have owned the car for a year and they have been the same the entire time. Do they really go "bad" that fast?

Personally I think they suck; whatever type they might be. I would really like to get something else besides putting the same thing back in the car. I have had several cars MUCH older than this that have had better lighting than this one. Although, I am getting older so maybe it's my eyes! :eek: Hopefully it's just the bulbs though!

So it appears Daniel Stern recommends Osram Silver Stars (among others). I have seen this recommendation a few times before. Is it as simple as pulling the old bulb out and putting the new one in or does it still depend on what type of headlamps I have?

Thanks again!

Rob

·
Registered
85 Posts
mine burned out this morning for the second time since June '04. Dealer expalined it as I'm putting a lot of hours of use on the bulb sice I have DRL's. Which kind of makes sence.
I believe it is H7 for low and high beam.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I second that, H7 bulbs for the low beam and high beam. I believe all the OEM Xenon lights have the auto level mechanism, so if you dont, it means you have the standard halogen bulbs.

·
Super Moderator
20,336 Posts

Every option package for a 2003 Linear.

·
Registered
473 Posts
my friend had the same problem with his 03 arc, we took the high beam bulbs and put them in the low beams since the high beams arent used as much the bulbs are technically newer and can light brighter. that made atlest a 50% difference and also go to like autozone or something of that sort, get headlights lens cleaner put a coat on. buff it off and repeat that helps too sometimes
just my input

·
Registered
49 Posts
I can't find the post right now, but there is a problem with the low beam connectors to the headlights.(2003 Linear only?) Ground wires look fried. I just picked up the replacement connectors from the dealer, $14-15 for both low beams. If yours has this problem, it will be obvious once you pop off the rubber protective cap behind the low beam lights.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts