SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey. I have another question about headlights on my '03 9-3 Vector. I was under the impression that I had the Xenon HID lights. Aside from that, in each head lamp assembly there are 3 bulbs, one is a small bulb that is designated 194 I believe, this is a type of marker light. The second is an H4 type halogen looking bulb that is directly adjacent to the 194 bulb. The third is the projector bulb. This is my prob. The projector goes from high to low depending on how it is set. The other halogen type bulb, which I thought was the low beam does nothing. I checked the bulb with a continuity test and its good. I tried every combination from high/low/fog and the lows dont work. Maybe a relay? All that gives me light is the projector lamps either on high or low. Anyone have any input? I thought it was a fuse but the same fuse for the low beams runs the other things that work. My second assumption was a relay, I failed to check on that one, if so, does anyone know how I can check it? Also, does anyone else have this problem?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
508 Posts
Three words, "Flash to Pass", that should cause that light to come on, Silly and strange I know.
wmk1975 said:
Hey. I have another question about headlights on my '03 9-3 Vector. I was under the impression that I had the Xenon HID lights. Aside from that, in each head lamp assembly there are 3 bulbs, one is a small bulb that is designated 194 I believe, this is a type of marker light. The second is an H4 type halogen looking bulb that is directly adjacent to the 194 bulb. The third is the projector bulb. This is my prob. The projector goes from high to low depending on how it is set. The other halogen type bulb, which I thought was the low beam does nothing. I checked the bulb with a continuity test and its good. I tried every combination from high/low/fog and the lows dont work. Maybe a relay? All that gives me light is the projector lamps either on high or low. Anyone have any input? I thought it was a fuse but the same fuse for the low beams runs the other things that work. My second assumption was a relay, I failed to check on that one, if so, does anyone know how I can check it? Also, does anyone else have this problem?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
flash to pass

flash to pass... that is when you pull back on the switch temporarily? I tried and still they dont come on... what the heck.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
20,336 Posts
AFAIK, the halogen lights in the headlight of cars with bi-xenon lights (your 2003) do not function. Pulling back the stalk just opens the lens on the xenon to allow more light output. This was changed in later models.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,089 Posts
Diggs said:
AFAIK, the halogen lights in the headlight of cars with bi-xenon lights (your 2003) do not function. Pulling back the stalk just opens the lens on the xenon to allow more light output. This was changed in later models.
It's a bit more complicated than that. It appears to depend on whether you have DRL's or not. In the UK (no DRL's) the bi-xennon set up does use the halogen high beams along with opening the projector shutter. This isn't the case with the North American cars.

However, even with DRL's, the halogens should still flash if the lights are off (i.e. the ignition is not on). On the OP's car, this is not the case...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,567 Posts
try this..

turn your car off, remove the key. now flash the high beams.. for me, the H7 style halogen bulb will light up. sometimes it doesn't. sometimes if the car was just on, and i remove the key, the xenons still flash.

it's very strange but i think the ONLY way to get the halogens to light up is to have the car off and flash the high beams.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wtfwill is right

Why the hell is there lights that only work when the car is off and you pull the pass to flash? Am I wrong to see that as senseless??? I wonder if there is a way to wire them to come on when I have high beams on? That would be nice. Thats if you want to give oncoming drivers flash burn (the welders should know what I mean) on their eyeballs at night (heh heh)... Seriously, anybody ever do that? It sounds nice to me. I only would worry if the excess heat would cause problems, like burning out the xenon prematurely, melting light fixture/wiring, or anything else. Any ideas? Maybe run a separate power wire to the battery and have the lights come on with a a relay wired to the xenon for example? I am no expert at wiring but that is basically how alot of aftermarket head lights work. Any ideas? Xenon's are nice and bright, but Xenon's with aux halogens sound very nice indeed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
108 Posts
wmk1975 said:
Why the hell is there lights that only work when the car is off and you pull the pass to flash? Am I wrong to see that as senseless??? I wonder if there is a way to wire them to come on when I have high beams on? That would be nice. Thats if you want to give oncoming drivers flash burn (the welders should know what I mean) on their eyeballs at night (heh heh)... Seriously, anybody ever do that? It sounds nice to me. I only would worry if the excess heat would cause problems, like burning out the xenon prematurely, melting light fixture/wiring, or anything else. Any ideas? Maybe run a separate power wire to the battery and have the lights come on with a a relay wired to the xenon for example? I am no expert at wiring but that is basically how alot of aftermarket head lights work. Any ideas? Xenon's are nice and bright, but Xenon's with aux halogens sound very nice indeed.
Except of heating what definetely could be an issue- if this extra bulb isn't designed to be on for long time, some melting/temperature increasing inside headlight theoretically could happen (I don't know the construction of headlight assembly as I don't have xenons :( ) but the main question would be- where to exactly those extra bulbs are aimed? If they don't have proper reflector behind they will not make your way brighter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
I think the halogens come on when the HID bulb is burnt out as a back up of sort. When you pull the handle back after you shut the car off the HID lights stay on along with the back up lights as a courtesy feature for about 20 seconds.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top