SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I've been driving my 92(J) Vert on one of the rainy days so prevalent here in Guzz. My headlights will not extinguish when I get out of the car, even with the switch turned of. The lights will go out after 30 mins, come back on agai after 15 etc etc.I realise that this must be an earth or short somewhere in the electrical system caused by the rain, but can anyone recomend a quick fix?

·
Registered
7,091 Posts
well just to save battery, disconnect, but it sounds like a short or earth as sugested, get it inthe dry for a while if you can.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's not draining the battery, which is new and in fairly good nick. I drive it every day, some I'm not realy worried about it not starting due to a flat batt. I might try giving the main earth conn at the front a spray with WD.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I think the headlight relay is a good place to diagnose from. You can check to see if most of the circuit is functioning correctly from there, and it is easy to access. It is located in the main fuse box at the side of the engine compartment.

There is a bit of a 'procedure' in diagnosing, but for a start you can check if the voltage in pin 30 (the pins are numbered on the back of the relay) changes voltage when you turn the light switch. From that, you may be able to eliminate the switch.

Also, when you unplug the relay the lights should go off.

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
clanky said:
It's not draining the battery, which is new and in fairly good nick. I drive it every day, some I'm not realy worried about it not starting due to a flat batt. I might try giving the main earth conn at the front a spray with WD.
If it keeps running it down it won't be in good nick for long, and eventually the lights will stay on too long one day and run it down to far to start it, you'll have to get a jump or tow and that is a pain. I'd yank the fuse or relay just to make sure I didn't come back to a flat battery.

That said, I have issues occationally, when running my lights for extended periods in extremly cold or hot weather, with the headlights not turning off with the car, nor with the switch. In my case it is simply the relay sticking. I can do a cool Fonz impression by simply smacking the hood of my car above the relay box and the headlights go out. :)

Next time they stay on, tap the headlight relay and see if they go out, you may just have a sticky relay like me.

·
Registered
7,091 Posts
YES. Read the plastic cover it tells you which one,e.g. HEADLIGHT,????????????? It is actually the biggest one one there, door end

1 - 7 of 7 Posts