SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. Its mid summer here and the Saab is running beautifully about to turn 240k.

I am replacing my passenger side headlight lens assembly and its not totally apparent how this thing comes apart. I searched here and found a couple threads but didn't find anything that answers my question. I am trying to pull the lens assembly out from the mounting bracket without removing the entire headlight assembly including the mounting bracket.

Can I just remove the lens assembly (in the US this is one piece being the reflector and glass front) from the mounting bracket without removing the entire bracket and lens assembly from the car?

How is the lens assembly mounted to the bracket?

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
In the US the lens is permanently glued to the bucket--not meant to be removed...
That said if you remove the whole assembly and apply a heatgun to the the lens and careful use of an exacto knife you should be able to get it apart...

Keep searching--there's a thread with pix somewhere on this. The early 9K uses the same or similar bucket so try there as well.

If I was keeping my C9 I'd pay for the e-code buckets as an upgrade.
You should be able to find replacement e-code lens through e-bay and then glue them to your existing buckets. Caution--I don't know how well the dot bulb placement would work with the e-code lens...

·
Registered
4,197 Posts

·
Registered
12,672 Posts
Are you talking about the 3 white plastic mounting bushings?
If so then first hope nothing breaks, lube, pry gently 'til they pop off, free up adjuster screws, use new bushings or a dab of epoxy to tighten them up, pop in new part with a firm push, adjust aim.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If so then first hope nothing breaks, lube, pry gently 'til they pop off, free up adjuster screws, use new bushings or a dab of epoxy to tighten them up, pop in new part with a firm push, adjust aim.
Right, I guess thats what Im talking about I wasn't sure how this part was attaching to the mount/adjustor housing - so its basically glued on with three tabs into the three holes on the lens housing above?

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So do I just pull hard on the lens assembly (same as the photo above) and it should just pop off there?

·
Registered
978 Posts
There is a product used in jewelry repair called "Attack" solvent that is used to cut through epoxies and resins. That should remove the lens for you.

Goes without saying...but I'll say it anyway ;) ... only use in well ventilated environs

http://www.jewelrytools.com/eurotool/jewelry-glue-and-adhesives/Attack-Solvent-8-Fluid-Ounces.html?gclid=CITome2s3r8CFQg0aQodt6MA0Q
Intresting, Has anyone tried it on potted circuit boards? I think on the headlight bucket it might attack the non-glass portion (if it is plastic or other non-glass substance).

·
Registered
510 Posts
So do I just pull hard on the lens assembly (same as the photo above) and it should just pop off there?
No, you take the whole thing out, mounting bracket and all.

Then you try your best to pry the white plastic pieces out of the black buckets that screw to the back of the lens. You can unscrew the black pieces after the the white piece has been pried out.

The white plastic piece snaps over the end of the metal adjuster rod. This then snaps into the black bucket.

In my experience, if you are really careful, you will get 1 out of 3 to pry out without breaking.

Do not start this project without several spares or you will be duct taping your light in place until you find some.

Clean, lube and possibly heat them up before trying.

There is a tab on one side of the white piece. Don't just pry under that tab. The other side is likely to be stuck to the black piece and you will break the white piece in half. Try and pry a little around the entire white piece before seriously trying to get it to come out.

Good luck. The early 9K items are similar, but not the same. They are easier to remove in my limited experience.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
I'm really glad our UK headlights can be stripped down and a new lens, bulb or back etc can be replaced with relative ease, as glass is held in place by spring clips, with a sponge seal. although you have to remove the whole unit, it's not hard, and I can change a complete unit in about 5-10 mins max;ol;

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I'm taking some slope-front headlights apart at the moment - they have the full removable glass lens piece that's held on with a bunch of clips.

·
Registered
4,729 Posts
Everywhere else except America got the multi-piece H4 headlamps. Here we got 9004 headlamps which are fully sealed and cannot be stripped down.

·
Registered
158 Posts
When I repaired the headlights on my car the clamping collars disintegrated and the white bushings were fine. I can 3D print the old style clamping collars if you want a few.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I've tracked down what is hopefully a VGC pair of slope-front headlights from a seller here in Australia so I'll be getting those and then decide what do with the the existing set of lights I salvaged from one of my other cars.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts