SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I’ve had this issue for a long time and tonight I attempted to narrow down the problem but still no answer.

Headlights will no work in the normal headlight position (far right) but do work in the other positions. My wife and I have been dealing with this for awhile but not having high beams or fog lights is quite annoying.

Things I’ve done so far
-checked all fuses inside and under hood
-replaced headlight switch and orange relay, no change
-ran power to the fog lights and they working
-when I put the light to the right all lights go out

Not sure what else to try besides buying another car with working head lights and keep switching parts until I find something bad lol

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why do you think the ignition switch would cause this? I checked and it’s almost $300 from eeuroparts so before I drop that I want to me certain it will solve this issue

·
Registered
8,835 Posts
Ignition switch powers directly light switch pin +X. This pin powers lights when light switch is in right.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
The difference in those two components is that one is the actual switch. The other is the aluminum part the switch attaches to. You need the cheaper one, not the alloy part.

However, that link is to the NG900 and '99 OG 9-3 switch. if you have a MY 2000+ OG 9-3, you want 4943692. They all seem to be out of stock now new, regardless. https://www.esaabparts.com/saab/parts/4943692

If you want, I will sell you a known working used one I took off my recently retired car for a whole lot less (also, it looks like the original is now out of stock permanently. It has some miles on it but it works. I ended up with two spares and I only need one. You can buy it for a very reasonable cost and test... if you want to spring for one of the few remaining new ones out there for $190, you can do that later after you verify the problem. Or you can just run with my used one. PM if you're interested.

EDIT: I see there's a part 32021798 out there at $160 that appears to be a "SAAB" replacement... looks like they introduced an aftermarket switch from a new supplier. I would be wary of that part since we don't know who makes it. But it's also an option. https://www.autohausaz.com/pn/SB-32021798

I don't know if Mimmi is correct in diagnosing from 4000 miles away (He usually is). But, I had an issue with my 900 whereby the headlights would not turn OFF when shutting off the car. The ignition switch was the culprit. Never analyzed why but it's tied in through that +X feed he mentioned and it can do funky stuff. Mine worked fine to start and run the car, it just messed the headlight circuit.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bobsaabit, I sent you a pm. Hope this fixes the issue. My wife’s parents bought it new and I’ve been fixing and upgrading the car since I met her 11 years ago. She bought a new car and im now daily driving the saab and slowly fixing stuff that’s been neglected for awhile. Thanks for the help and I’ll post back up once I get the switch and install it

1 - 8 of 8 Posts