SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i am having a minor electrical problem on my '96 9000, curious if anybody has ever ran into it. About 2 weeks ago, my headlight indicator on the dash started to flicker dimly. It ranges from barely visible to fully lit constantly, only when my low beams are on. If i turn on just my parking lights, the indicator is off, as well as when my high beams are on. Though if i turn on my fog lights, the indicator comes on and stays fully lit. All of my lights are in working order, no burnt contacts or loose connections. Any ideas?

·
Registered
80 Posts
About 2 weeks ago, my headlight indicator on the dash started to flicker dimly.
Most headlight or hi-beam issues are almost exclusively related to the headlamp control relay in the engine compartment relay box.

It sounds ridiculous, but simply removing the relay, separating the orange portion and "resoldering" a few of the connections by simply touching the existing solder with a hot iron will fix those problems.

Or you could buy a new orange relay for ~$45.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Do the headlights flicker at the same time as the indicator light in the dash?

Could be a loose connection on the tail light (if you mean the rear fogs). Don't ask me why, but I had a similar thing happen during the MOT test on my c900. Resoldered the relay and it was still the same. The connectors on the rear lights were dirty, especially the earth, once I fixed that it was all perfect.

The same may apply to the front fogs

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The front fogs set off the indicator, the rear does not.

I re-soldered the relay this weekend and it made no difference. :/

The headlights do not flicker though, only the indicator. The interesting thing I have noticed is when i first start up the indicator is off, but when i put it in gear it begins to flicker.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Could just be a loose connection on the instrument cluster if all the lights are working normally and it's only the indicator flickers.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
I was wondering what the OP means by "the headlight indicator".

MrMuf; do you mean the blue "highbeam on" indicator on the lower right or the "H/L bulb out" warning on the pictogram?

I haven't seen a dedicated "headlight" indication on the instrument display any of the 9000's we have.

Only the blue high beam - and the lamp out indicator on the pictogram.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MrMuf; do you mean the blue "highbeam on" indicator on the lower right or the "H/L bulb out" warning on the pictogram?

I haven't seen a dedicated "headlight" indication on the instrument display any of the 9000's we have.

Only the blue high beam - and the lamp out indicator on the pictogram.
I am talking about the pictogram. The entire pictogram along with ONLY the FRONT lamp out indicator flickers. The rear lamp out stays off, along with the door and hatch indicators.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Schematic:

COMPONENT ID:

Lighting relay, in main fuse box in front of the battery.
Lights switch on dashboard between steering wheel and driver's door.
Main beam, LH and RH headlamps.
Dipped beam, LH and RH headlamps.
Rear lights in the rear light clusters.
Ignition switch, on the right-hand side of the steering column
22a
Main fuse board behind the access panel in the glove box.
Direction indicator lamps, left-hand side, in front and rear light clusters.
Direction indicator lamps, right-hand side, in front and rear light clusters.
Brake light switch beside the brake pedal.
Brake lights, in each rear light cluster.
30RC
High-level brake light

CD: in rear window.

CS: on tailgate.
Rear light bulbs

CD: in rear light clusters

CS: in tailgate light fitting.
Oil pressure sensor 2.0 I, T: on upper part of oil filter housing to the right at the rear of the engine. 2.3 I, T: on the engine block at front of engine.

In Pictogram 213

47d
Oil pressure warning lamp
47t
SRS warning lamp
Distribution terminal (+15 circuit), in main fuse box behind the glove box.

In Pictogram 213

213a
Central warning lamp
213b
Indication, rear lights
213c
Indication, front lights
213h (47d)
Oil pressure warning lamp
213i (47t)
SRS warning lamp
228a
Filament monitor, rear lamps, in luggage compartment on the left-hand side.
228b
Filament monitor, front lamps, in main fuse box in front of the battery.
SRS control module, in front part of the centre console under the dashboard.
342a
Fuse board in main fuse box in front of battery.

4-Pin Connector

H4-21
Beside the generator (V6).

8-Pin Connector

H8-4
By the left-hand rear wheel housing.

24-Pin Connector

H24-2
Behind the left-hand headlamp.

70-Pin Connector

H70-1
In the engine bay, behind the bulkhead partition.

Grounding Points

G3
Grounding point, luggage compartment, beside the left-hand rear light cluster.
G5
Grounding point, under the rear seat on the left.
G8
Grounding point, dashboard, by the left-hand front loudspeaker socket.
G29
Luggage compartment grounding point, right-hand, beside the right-hand rear light cluster.
G30
Grounding point, on left-hand structural member behind the left-hand headlamp.
G31
Grounding point, on the right-hand structural member behind the right- hand headlamp.

DESCRIPTION OF OPERATION
Certain parts of the car's lighting system are monitored by two filament monitors, 228a and 228b, and pictogram 213.

The five lamps f, g, d, e and j in the pictogram are covered individually in the Pictogram - Door Indication .

Filament Monitors
Filament monitor 228b monitors headlamp main and dipped beams and filament monitor 228a monitors rear lights and brake lights.

Filament monitor 228b incorporates relays which act on the pictogram and light lamp c if a failure occurs while filament monitor 228a incorporates shunt resistors which act on the pictogram and light lamp b if a failure occurs.

The lamp in the centre, a (central warning lamp), lights up the car's outline on the pictogram and always comes on when a failure is detected.

When ignition switch 20 is in the Drive position, current is supplied to pictogram terminal 5.

Front Filament Monitor 228b
If there is a fault in any lighting circuit, an imbalance arises and the relay is activated. Terminal C2 in the filament monitor and lamps C and A (central warning lamp) in the pictogram are grounded and the lamps light up.

Rear Filament Monitor 228a
The filament monitor senses if the current to one of the lamps is incorrect. Terminal C1 in the filament monitor and lamps b and a (central warning lamp) in the pictogram are grounded and the lamps light up.

The filament monitor incorporates a circuit for monitoring brake lights switch 29 and the high-level brake light, refer to Brake Lights .

Oil Pressure Warning Lamp 47d
The oil pressure warning lamp shows the driver if the engine oil pressure drops too low.

If the oil pressure drops below 0.3-0.5 bar , the oil pressure sensor closes and lamp 47d lights up.

The pictogram's central warning lamp is also grounded and the pictogram lights up.

Airbag Warning Lamp 47t
The airbag warning lamp shows the driver if there is a fault in the airbag system.

Testing The Indicator And Warning Lamps
When the ignition switch is turned to the Drive position, current is supplied to the lamps that are to be tested (terminal 5 on the pictogram).

When the ignition switch is then turned to the Test position, which is situated between the Drive and Start positions, positive current continues to be supplied to the lamps at the same time as they are grounded in that connections C and C1 of the ignition switch are connected to each other.

The following lamps in the pictogram are connected in circuit during the test:

• Central warning lamp a
  • Lamp c for front lighting
  • Lamp b for rear lighting
  • Oil pressure warning lamp h/47d
FAULT DIAGNOSIS HINTS
The indicator lamps in pictogram 213 are activated by turning ignition switch 20 to the Drive position.
1. Check that current is supplied to terminal 5 of the pictogram.
2. Check the pictogram bulbs. Do this with the ignition switch in the Test position.
3. Check that terminal 1 of filament monitor 228a is supplied with current in the Drive position.
4. With the ignition switch in the Drive position, disconnect and ground the oil pressure sensor cable. If the lamp lights up, the circuit is OK.
5. Check the connectors, wiring harness and ground connections.
When changing the filament monitor, check against the spare parts catalogue that it is replaced with the correct variant for the market in question.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The fact that I have HID's doesnt explain it does it? Ive had them on for a year without a problem, the flickering started up a few weeks ago

1 - 9 of 9 Posts