SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I bought a nice new boost gauge for my baby a couple of weeks ago. Since thanksgiving break is rapidly approaching, I get closer and closer to being re-united with the sweedish princess.

I think I'm going to ditch the a pillar pod and go with the light switch location, I like the whole air craft reminiscent set up that Saab offers and I think the light switch spot will stick well with that theme.

Herein lies my question: how should I go about doing the install of the gauge, what should I look out for, and how do I go about re-placing the switch?

I had an idea to buy a small three position switch and use that instead of the stock one, I thought about putting it in one of the light switch fill pieces. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
956 Posts
only thing i didnt and dont like about the headlight location is the way i sit in the car i cant see the gauge unless i lean over and thats not ideal. so check for yourself as i heard many others say the same thing. you want it easily visible to you.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sleet said:
only thing i didnt and dont like about the headlight location is the way i sit in the car i cant see the gauge unless i lean over and thats not ideal. so check for yourself as i heard many others say the same thing. you want it easily visible to you.
Thanks I appreciate the concern, I will of course double check the ergonomics of the location before I jump into the project.

Any one have specific installation advice?

·
Registered
255 Posts
It's a very very easy install, I did it in less than 30 minutes including removing and installing the dashboard. It's easy to see, the steering wheel does NOT obstruct the view.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Do not remove the dash it is NOT necessary and only adds time to the installations, I've done the install on 3 cars without doing so most recently on my 93 using an Autometer Ultralite gauge. Its a super easy install, feel free to PM me with any questions.

Mike

·
Registered
956 Posts
Mike W. said:
It's a very very easy install, I did it in less than 30 minutes including removing and installing the dashboard. It's easy to see, the steering wheel does NOT obstruct the view.
not everyone sits in the same exact position as you, so to me it does obstruct the view, and ive heard of many others having the same issue. it depends on how you sit. you just gotta check it out for yourself.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I did the install and I really like the result. I used a VDO gauge that integrates really well - green backlight (also came with red filter), orange pointer, black face with white lettering/numbering.

The install went very smoothly for me (not removing the dash or anything). I had to open the hole up using a dremel tool - basically just removing the lip/recess that the switch used to sit in. It was pretty much a press fit, but I used some black RTV to be sure.

The only issue at all was that there was a minor clearance issue on the left side of the hole with a metal bracket (maybe part of the vent mounting or something, can't remember). The VDO gauge body slid into the hole, but was canted slightly so that when all the way in the gauge's front flange isn't totally flush with the dash (I mean very slightly, like 1 degree) caused by that interference. This small gap is filled by the black RTV and is invisible.

I just wrapped the light switch in some bubble wrap and pushed it inside the dash (in the ON position). I'll post a picture if I get a chance - I don't have the pics here at work.

I like the location - it is easily visible to me when I want to see it, but not distracting.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think I'm going to try and replace the switch with a smaller one and place it somewhere out of view.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I need my switch, I have to be able to run dark if I want to. Otherwise I sould just throw it back there.

·
Registered
713 Posts
9-3sleeper said:
How so? Are there more than just a few wires?
lol if i had to guestimate i would say maby 10-15 wires, you should be able to just pull ur switch out to see

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
t_buck09 said:
lol if i had to guestimate i would say maby 10-15 wires, you should be able to just pull ur switch out to see
Aww son of a *****!!! are you kidding me? What the hell are they all for?

Man, that may change my game plan a wee bit.

·
Registered
713 Posts
lol yea theres alot, give me like 10 min il post a pic

1 - 20 of 25 Posts