SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2000 9-3 Aero 5d
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I came across a recent post about LED Bulb upgrades for 9-3OG and there was a link for "Boost customs" in Canada.
http://boostcustoms.ca/product/saab-9-3og-900ng-head-light-clear-lenses-pair/
Can anyone provide any info on these - are they any good?
I've got a 'foggy' headlight - and I was thinking replacing the lenses with plastic and some new seals might fix it.
The photos look very good.
I was also considering a DRL install strip along the edge at the same time.
I welcome any comments (+ve and -ve).

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I believe the LED strip would have to be mounted on the outside of the headlight assembly. If so I wouldn't do it. I got a set of e-code glass lenses. You could check into them maybe. I got mine in a pile of parts right now but I will check to see exactly what the lenses looks like. Clear, almost clear.

·
Registered
9,370 Posts
Price is for the lens only. You will get a bad beam pattern without the projector (and even then who knows).

You know you can pop the lens off and clean it? Unless the lens has been sandblasted on the outside, any fogginess is due to stuff on the reflector, or possibly stuff on the inside of the lens. Wash with distilled water. Be very careful as even the slightest rubbing can remove the silver coating on the reflector.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I learned the hard way on those lenses years ago. I'm going to pop mine open, clean what I can and install Euro-spec lenses. Morimoto I think.

·
Registered
9,370 Posts
I learned the hard way on those lenses years ago. I'm going to pop mine open, clean what I can and install Euro-spec lenses. Morimoto I think.
To be clear, projectors aren't euro style (E-code) lenses, they're a different lamp system altogether.

You can get E-code glass lenses, both OEM (Valeo) and aftermarket (TYC, which I have a set of). I assume that the OP's car has "E-code" RHD lenses, as I don't see Saab making DOT lenses for the RHD market. So if the current lenses are sandblasted, get a used set of clean lenses. Beyond that, the problems would be clouded reflectors, and they are hard to clean. Again, a good used set of reflectors might be what's needed to avoid the nighttime 'roo.

·
Registered
2000 9-3 Aero 5d
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks EdT and LEP3. I have a single lens that is foggy - and doesn't appear to be sandblasted. I think perhaps the seal somewhere is broken / or potentially water from the wiper-jet has affected it. I've been looking at local wreckers for a while - but its been a case of incorrect unbroken side vs incorrect model saab etc. That's why I was looking at the boost customs lens. Not 100% sure about the DOT vs e-code status.

·
Registered
647 Posts
My 1998 NG 900 has glass lenses easily removable. There's an E in a circle which I think means E code.
I glued the rubber lens seal on with black silicone.

The reflector on the right side (driver's) is a bit chatty, I have some Morimoto projectors that I'm not currently using because I don't like the high beam. Low beam is ok but high beam just seems weak. It's possible that the 6000k bulbs are the problem, I'll try it with 4300k bulbs.

Something I noticed with the these projectors and another set I bought out of curiosity (They have a one inch wide lens) is that the light pattern is better if the bulb is with drawn about 4mm. There might be a part missing.
I haven't tried the Morimotos on the road with the modified bulb position yet as I'm still pretty sure the colour is a factor.

I don't see the problem with installing an LED DRL inside the lens.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts