SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So for a while I've noticed at night my headlights tend to flicker. It's apparent when idling and when backing up I can also see a flicker in reverse lights. If I turn the car off but leave the headlights on the flicker goes away. I just put a new battery in today as the old one failed testing (12.43v, 399cca).

Could this be the sign of a failing alternator and/or voltage regulator? Any way to test it to be sure? I did measure voltage at the battery with the car running and I got 14.6v at idle and about 14.7v at 1500 RPM.

2004 Saab 9-3 Linear

·
Registered
7,883 Posts
Is there anything else being switched on or off?

If you have halogen headlights, they shouldn't flicker--the UEC is supposed to maintain 13.5V through PWM (according to WIS). I don't know if the REC does anything similar for backup lights.

What's the frequency and duration of the flickering?

In short, it shouldn't do that. And 14.7 V sounds quite high, assuming the voltmeter is accurate. It's not doing your battery any favours if it's always at that voltage.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Headlights are halogen and both assemblies were replaced last year. The flickering is almost constant, turning the air and radio off seems to have no effect.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Weird. Those are good voltage numbers. Still, could be intermittent in the alternator. Does the voltage bounce when idling and it flickers?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts