SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up this car about six months ago. I immediately noticed that the headlights were two different "colors" of temperature: the driver side seems to be a bit warmer (more yellow) than my passenger side.

While it was up on jack stands for an oil change today, I left the engine running. I noticed that the driver side bulb was flickering while the passenger side wasn't. Due to the different tint of the bulbs, I suspect the previous owner tried to do something about it. Obviously, changing the bulb did not work.

This is the first car I've owned with HIDs so I'm not sure where the problem lies but I'm willing to bet it is some sort of connection or inadvertent grounding issue.

How do I trouble-shoot? What are the next steps? There are no dummy lights activating on the dash for this, either.

·
Registered
08 9-5 Aero
2,297 Posts
I picked up this car about six months ago. I immediately noticed that the headlights were two different "colors" of temperature: the driver side seems to be a bit warmer (more yellow) than my passenger side.

While it was up on jack stands for an oil change today, I left the engine running. I noticed that the driver side bulb was flickering while the passenger side wasn't. Due to the different tint of the bulbs, I suspect the previous owner tried to do something about it. Obviously, changing the bulb did not work.

This is the first car I've owned with HIDs so I'm not sure where the problem lies but I'm willing to bet it is some sort of connection or inadvertent grounding issue.

How do I trouble-shoot? What are the next steps? There are no dummy lights activating on the dash for this, either.
Replace both bulbs..... Don't want to let the flickering go on or more cost will hit you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Replace both bulbs..... Don't want to let the flickering go on or more cost will hit you.
How do you know that it is the bulbs and not a ballast or something else? Is this a common issue?

Also, is there a factory service manual (FSM) available in .PDF online somewhere? I managed to snag one for the Nissan I previously owned and it was fantastic.

·
Registered
08 9-5 Aero
2,297 Posts
How do you know that it is the bulbs and not a ballast or something else? Is this a common issue?

Also, is there a factory service manual (FSM) available in .PDF online somewhere? I managed to snag one for the Nissan I previously owned and it was fantastic.
IIRC flickering is your pre warning to a bulb going bad. If the bulb were to go out then a ballast issue would exist possibly. Bulbs are cheaper than ballasts of course. I've done 3 bulb replacements over my ownership when flickering started. After new bulbs no more flickering.

·
Registered
08 9-5 Aero
2,297 Posts
Thanks.

Any instructions available on how to properly change the bulbs?
Your gonna wish you had an 05. Bumper removal on yours.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I replaced my original lamps at 88k because of flickering and it solved the problem. I did it without removing the front bumper as the WIS instructs but will likely not do it that way again. There is a twist style lock ring that holds the lamp in place and it is hard to reach especially on the passenger side. The drivers side can be reached by removing the battery.
Bad lamp with 6yrs and 88k miles on it:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Damn. Well, this sounds like a warm Saturday project.

I just discovered the DRL fuse today and quickly pulled it. At least the bulb won't be lit up all the damn time now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts