SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I need some help. I have a 9-3 Aero 54 plate with the D2s Xenon bulbs.

The car was nice enough to tell me right dip beam has failed so i assumed the bulb.

I bought 2 new ones off ebay see link
(http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251080909760?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649)

After a lot of fighting with the housing i managed to get it out and stuck in the new bulb.... Wont light up, i tired the other bulb.... wont light.

What could it be? is it the bulbs are they not right?
Could it be the large metal square it plugs into..
Is this a common fault, i have checked the fuses they are fine.

I would take the passenger side one out but i dont have time to faff about moving the battery and i am worried ill get it out but not back in again....

Thoughts please.... thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
20,432 Posts
Look around for signs of burnt wiring....
Also, 5GBP for D2S bulbs? That isn't right. Way too cheap.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Those bulbs are just awful. You use the bulbs to see at night, why cheap out on them?

At the very least I would use threefive d2s bulbs from theretrofitsource.com or oem philips bulbs if you want to spend the money.

Do you still have one good working oem bulb? Have you tried swapping the good oem bulb into the side that wasnt working?

·
Registered
256 Posts
I have replaced both of mine as well. Without any problems. But I used the original Kelvin values.
But this price sounds way too low that I would trust them. Plus 8000K just sounds wrong. Aftermarket dealers here (in store) sell the 4000 K for around $90 a piece. The original Saab bulbs are almost twice as much.
Have you tried out the original ones again? Do they still work?
Plus 8000K sounds way to much. I am not sure if the controller modules can be harmed with these bulbs. Have you checked if the controller modules can handle the 8000K bulbs?
If you have killed them, they are about $300 a piece here in the US. And they sit right behind the bumper which you have to remove.

Good luck. But my advice: Stay away from these cheap no name bulbs with wrong Kelvin values at these online auctions. You will cause more damage than its worth it.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I have replaced both of mine as well. Without any problems. But I used the original Kelvin values.
But this price sounds way too low that I would trust them. Plus 8000K just sounds wrong. Aftermarket dealers here (in store) sell the 4000 K for around $90 a piece. The original Saab bulbs are almost twice as much.
Have you tried out the original ones again? Do they still work?
Plus 8000K sounds way to much. I am not sure if the controller modules can be harmed with these bulbs. Have you checked if the controller modules can handle the 8000K bulbs?
If you have killed them, they are about $300 a piece here in the US. And they sit right behind the bumper which you have to remove.

Good luck. But my advice: Stay away from these cheap no name bulbs with wrong Kelvin values at these online auctions. You will cause more damage than its worth it.
Controllers as in ballasts? I would have to see a pic, but oem ballasts can be had for $100 per pair or less used. I doubt Saab designed their own ballast. Also Kelvin rating means nothing to the ballasts for being able to handle them. They don't draw any extra power. They just put out rice blue light.

Op, when you buy bulbs, buy 4,300k (oem temp). Higher kelvin rating rating means bluer light, which means less output, and more strain on your eyes.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Most of the non-Phillips, Sylvania, etc bulbs that are rated that high are actually tinted at the glass, not an actual production of the bulb itself, and therefore actually dimming the light output.

when I have gotten a similiar error on my audi it actually meant the ballast was bad. bill is right the ballasts are not "saab" ballasts and can be had cheaper than the saab oem ones.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the response, so i did as your recommended and tried the passenger side bulbs and ballast.

Didn't work in the driver side. So i tride the Driver side ballast and bulb (which had apparently blown) in the passenger side and it works.

This leaves me only the issue is the wiring as i have the fuses and they are fine.....

Has any one had any issues like this.... please see pic below when to understand what i call bulb and ballast. I have tried each bulb in each ballast on both sides and only the passenger side works.

Thanks

https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&...1f35ddaac7966&attid=0.1&disp=inline&safe=1&zw

·
Super Moderator
9,364 Posts
no pic just a google mail sign in page..

3 parts to a hid,lamp,ignitor & ballast.

the square silver box on the back of the lamp is the igniter,ballast is located underneath the h/lamp

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i am guessing its the igniter see pic now....
I am trying to find the relay for the headlights but can't seem to find the big orange relay, looked every where...

photo.jpg

·
Super Moderator
9,364 Posts
yes thats the igniter..there is no headlamp relay on the SS..

sounds like the ballast has gone on the drivers side,if they all work on passenger..

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Thanks, where can i get ballasts from, how much (UK) and is there a manual on here on how to change them?
I havent pulled one from a sabb headlight, but it's probably held one with a few screws, and a wire harness. Remove the ballast and take a photo of it.

The best website for hid related stuff is http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/

Post a photo of your ballast there and you will get a response very quickly and where to buy a new one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts