SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Replacing the headlights on my 2002 areo sedan....

Any suggestions on quality bulbs for replacements that aren't factory???

Any prefrence to "blue vs. white"? (I like the blue - but not sure of a quality thrid party) besides the Sylvanina Silver Star....

Preferably something that can be found at a local auto parts store

Way too cold to be doing this today....

·
Registered
197 Posts
I tried the silver stars they didn't last but about 2 months, i put regular bulbs in and they seem to last longer, the silver stars aren't worth the money

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
Stock Sylvania H7. At the rate these cars eat headlights you don't want to be putting in pricey and even-shorter-lived ultra bulbs.

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
Because Saab cheaped out on their daytime running light design. Most companies run headlights-only at reduced brightness as a DRL. Saab just put in a fuse to bypass the headlight switch, so your headlights/taillights are ALWAYS on at full brightness. I've been going through a bulb a year (or a little more) on average.

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Now you do have me confused.....:confused:. I've always run the DRL's as long as i've owned the car, is that why the headlamp bulbs last longer?

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
No, I'm thinking the reason a lot of people burn bulbs is because the DRLs are on all the time.... I can't explain why YOURS don't burn out.....

I know for sure mine is NOT because the car has too-high voltage - I've checked it when troubleshooting a battery problem and voltage was lower than I like at about 14.0 - you'd think that would make the bulbs last longer....

·
Registered
197 Posts
i think i have a cursed saab also, i was going through a bulb every 4 months, maybe it's the bulbs we get here in the states, or i have a short somewhere, also my highbeam doesn't work i put a new bulb in and it still doesn't work.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
jfiala1254 said:
i think i have a cursed saab also, i was going through a bulb every 4 months, maybe it's the bulbs we get here in the states, or i have a short somewhere, also my highbeam doesn't work i put a new bulb in and it still doesn't work.
I live in the states and I have only replaced 1 bulb in the 2-3 years I've owned the car.

·
Registered
9,874 Posts
jfiala1254 said:
I tried the silver stars they didn't last but about 2 months, i put regular bulbs in and they seem to last longer, the silver stars aren't worth the money

2 months isn't much ... but with our national retailer guarenteeing them for 12 months, it wouldn't matter to me.

More light is better ... Silverstars put out as much light (and more) than the competitors.
Safety to me is worth a few extra $$ spent.

MacNoob said:
Because Saab cheaped out on their daytime running light design. Most companies run headlights-only at reduced brightness as a DRL. Saab just put in a fuse to bypass the headlight switch, so your headlights/taillights are ALWAYS on at full brightness. I've been going through a bulb a year (or a little more) on average.

Cheaped out?
I wouldn't phrase it like that.

Did it the right way?
Sounds good to me.

I have always driven with all of my lights on ... it is safer that way and I will continue to do it regardless of the DRL set up of a car.

·
Registered
174 Posts
when you are putting in new bulbs, do not touch the bulb! the oil on your fingers will significantly shorten the lifespan of any bulb. i know this sounds impossible but just be slow and patient with it.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I went through 2 sets of silverstars, both lasted about 3 months. I'm running a set of Hella H7's now and they're doing fine and it's been almost 9-10 months.

Oh, the oil on the bulb issue...I always wear gloves when I'm changing bulbs.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just bought a pair of Sylvania Silverstars H7's for my 2000 95, $17 each at WalMart.. not sure why people are saying it's alot of money, I don't really think $17 for a good quality bulb is all that expensive. But anyways, I absolutely LOVE the light output these things provide. A pure white light output, with no yellowish tint whatsoever. When these burn out, I won't hesitate to buy them again.

As for the daytime running lights, I just pulled the fuse out, because I don't like headlights on all the time. It was simply a pull of fuse #35, now I'm all set, and hopefully my lights will last longer.

I do notice however, that I'm getting a brake light failure notice, and it's because one of the small bulbs on the 3rd brake light is out. Anyone know what type of bulb that is?

·
Registered
174 Posts
another point i'd like to make thats been made other times in the forums is that OSRAM, sylvania's sister company in europe, supposedly makes identical, but higher quality bulbs. I picked up a pair of osram silverstars on ebay for like $30 shipped.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I bought some H7 Xenon bulbs on ebay it been almost 3 and a half months since I've had them and they havent burnt out yet.

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
pdenton said:
another point i'd like to make thats been made other times in the forums is that OSRAM, sylvania's sister company in europe, supposedly makes identical, but higher quality bulbs. I picked up a pair of osram silverstars on ebay for like $30 shipped.
Ya beat me to it, Osram and Silvania are one and the same but we've come to the conclusion that the Osram Silverstars have better quality materials hence why they last a lot longer.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
SaabBlackMan said:
I bought some H7 Xenon bulbs on ebay it been almost 3 and a half months since I've had them and they havent burnt out yet.
Good! Should last you about 8 years... ;)

·
Registered
593 Posts
replaced my headlights with silver stars last spring and also removed daytime running light fuse. bulbs are still good...in fact very good, I am well pleased with them

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
SectorNine50 said:
Good! Should last you about 8 years... ;)

Lol I am installing HID very soon they are chillin in my trunk..ready to be install so the xenons will be useless soon. I cant wait:cheesy:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts