SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm trying to replace the main dipped headlight bulb on a Saab 9-3 Arc SS (UK - rhd) passenger side.
I thought this would be simple whip off the rubber dusk cover, pull out and replace faulty bulb, but no...

How small do your hands have to be to squeeze in-between the headlight bulb dustcover and the windsreen wiper reservoir/battery cover!!! This surely is a physical impossibility.

Is there a simple way to do this without having to remove the entire headlight?

I replaced the drivers side headlight bulb a few months ago (which was a bit of a tight squeeze but not impossible) so surely I havent put on that much weight over Christmas in my hands!!

Really appreciate some experienced advice.

many thanks all...

· Registered
05' 9-3 ARC 5spd
202 Posts
I did this on the driver side 2 weeks ago (US/Canadian), The washer fluid pipe connects to the reservoir and it comes off pretty easily for me. Once you get all that stuff out, it wasn't too hard. It took me about 20 mins from start to finish.

· Registered
1,305 Posts
r3awak3n said:
man, wait till you have to replace the brights... those are 10x harder to replace....
or the "Parking Lights" or whatever the little ones are called closest to the grill. Most people in this forum have cut their hands trying to do it. It can be done, but if you have giant Bratwurst fingers, its alot more interesting let me tell you..

· Registered
3 Posts
Parking bulb change

The topic of that parking light bulb change...can it be done by hand? I can touch it, but I have no idea how to grip it, turn it, pull it, ect. Any experience or advice?

Also, I'd love to pull the entire assemblies and either clean them or replace. I understand the bumper must be removed to do so (2004 9-3 Linear), but I don't want to attempt it without some direction. Any reference books, experience, instructions?

Thx

· Registered
12,513 Posts
The topic of that parking light bulb change...can it be done by hand? I can touch it, but I have no idea how to grip it, turn it, pull it, ect. Any experience or advice?

Also, I'd love to pull the entire assemblies and either clean them or replace. I understand the bumper must be removed to do so (2004 9-3 Linear), but I don't want to attempt it without some direction. Any reference books, experience, instructions?

Thx
Once again.... http://www.mrandmrs-g.net/LightingGuide/e-city.htm

There's a great FAQ, How to, and Tech help section.... just look around.

· Registered
285 Posts
I replaced my parking lightbulb a week ago. Took me about 20 minutes, until I finally realized that needle-nose pliers could help pulling it out.
The procedure:
- put on nitrile rubber gloves
- remove rubber dust cover
- remove high beam bulb by turning it counterclockwise 1/4-1/2 turn. Carefully pull it out with the cabling and set aside making sure not to damage it.
- find the cables that go to the parking bulb, try pulling them by hand. If that doesn't work - use needle-nose pliers to pull the bulb assembly out, but make sure to pull on the cable heat shrink reinforcement.

Installation is the reverse. In my case I could insert the assembly by hand without pliers.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.