SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is everyone doing about replacing the headlights? I have called (salvage, junk yards, etc) 2 or 3 other states around me looking for a good deal on parts. No luck:cry:

My wife was driving the car tonight in the middle of a severe thunderstorm when she blasted me the minute she walked in the door about the headlights. She's on my case about the muffler and now headlights. The passenger headlight is tilting inward which has it pointing at the road about 2 feet in front of the car. I realize there are new ones to purchase, but I was curious what all everyone was doing. Replacing with original equipment or retrofitting to today's headlights. The headlight is not broken, just all the adjustments are missing, cracked and very brittle. Can you buy parts for the headlight housing?

Thanks again for all the members here that are helping me out!!!:cool: Maybe one day, I can do the same. Still learning===RN

·
Registered
5,464 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
The parts from eeuroparts and saabsite can fix 3 of the 4 parts that break. Is there a source for the white plastic adjuster. Thats the only part I need to stop the passenger headlight wobbling and i can't find one.:cry:

Bob

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
The parts from eeuroparts and saabsite can fix 3 of the 4 parts that break. Is there a source for the white plastic adjuster. Thats the only part I need to stop the passenger headlight wobbling and i can't find one.:cry:
Bob
it's about 100 miles from elegant - but I used a synthetic wine cork, cut it to 1/2 length, drilled a hole through it, cut a slot (so I could shove it over the adjustment bolt), kinda carved the "headlight" side into a pentagon so it wouldn't rotate in the headlight bucket and put a small hose clamp around it (after it was jammed over the bolt and into the hole) - it provides enough resistance to allow the headlight to be aimed correctly and cost very little - imagination can sometimes get you even further than a Visa "black" card!:cheesy: Of course, we DID have to drink the wine :roll: but it was a 2004 pinot noire from South America that'd been in my cellar for six years - had aged to perfection - and drinking it wasn't exactly a chore ;)!

·
Registered
5 Posts

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
Isn't that part #1 from my list of links above. :D

If I recall correctly, the black piece screws to the back of the headlight.

The white piece snaps into that.

The ball on the end of the adjuster screw snaps into that.

The Adjuster screw fits into the now unavailable plastic nut thinkie that fitted into the headlight bracket, the only available option for that, AFAIK, is the machined aluminum ones from thesaabsite. A bit pricey, but a solid option that would outlast the car.

Aside from that, all there is left is the white plastic nob on the end of the adjuster screw.

That's 3 parts by my count.

What is the 4th part you speak of?

·
Registered
5 Posts
The 4th piece is the other adjuster nut thing. there are 2 threaded rod adjusters that screw into 2 nut assemblies that are pressed into the headlight frame. One nut it round and black and has been replaced by the metal one from saabsite, the other is white plastic and rectangular shaped and seems to be unavailable. Any more questions?:D

Bob

Isn't that part #1 from my list of links above. :D

If I recall correctly, the black piece screws to the back of the headlight.

The white piece snaps into that.

The ball on the end of the adjuster screw snaps into that.

The Adjuster screw fits into the now unavailable plastic nut thinkie that fitted into the headlight bracket, the only available option for that, AFAIK, is the machined aluminum ones from thesaabsite. A bit pricey, but a solid option that would outlast the car.

Aside from that, all there is left is the white plastic nob on the end of the adjuster screw.

That's 3 parts by my count.

What is the 4th part you speak of?

·
Registered
245 Posts
I hope these are the photos that are worth a thousand words..... ;)

In the photo of the back of the headlight reflector, look to the bottom left corner for a white 'thingy' - fixed reflector mount.

Auto part

In the photo of the reflector in its case, look for the same mount.

Automotive lighting Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part Metal

The 'peg' from the back of the reflector sits in this mount, which is attached to the case, IIRC. There's a ball end somewhere in the assembly, to allow for adjustment/movement of the reflector.

I think this 'white piece' is what everyone wants to talk about.

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
Are we perhaps having an an Eurocode vs DOT moment? :lol:

I don't recall ever seeing that piece on DOT lights. I have a pair out in my hatch at the moment, I'll have to go take a lookie.

DOT lights don't adjust the reflector, the entire headlight assembly is adjusted.

·
Registered
245 Posts
The only pieces I have not on the car (broken pieces, and the glass hit the circular file long ago) show a number on the back of the outer housing: Hella 132239-00 LI (LI = licht = left)

Don't know if these are E-code, (not going out to car to check glass on car right now), but they were on a Canadian car, if that's a pointer...

If your glass front lens has a joint with the rear shell, it's a good idea to run a bead of sealant around the joint (assuming that the reflector is still bright) as the seals fail with age, water/moisture gets in, and the reflectivity goes waaay south! Easy and cheap enough to disassemble and have re-vacuum plated when it does.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I will order 3 of the "black thingies" and 1 "white (round one) thingy". I also will need the "square white" one but those are not available. I can try the corkscrew idea for this. Any other ideas on the "square white" part?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Part came and all is installed:) prolem now is, I missing the little "black" part that goes with the adjuster screw:cry: Is this where the aluminium part comes in that Matt88s mentioned above?

By the way, GREAT JOB to Saabsite for the speedy delivery:cheesy:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm going to go ahead and order this piece and a couple of others. They have a few interesting pieces that I might be able make something work.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Any outcome/ success with the parts you ordered? I am facing the same dilemma (broke the white plastic adjuster "thing" closest to the engine side of the headlight assembly) and am looking for solutions. The wine cork is sounding pretty solid right now. Thanks.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Haven't got around to ordering the parts but will do so tonight and let you know by this weekend.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts