SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a 2002 9-3 Aero HOT Conv and i upgraded the headlight bulbs this afternoon for some H4 Xenon-look bulbs. I had genuine HID's in my previous car, Accord Type R and i must say these bulbs are nothing compared to the real thing but still a lot better than the horrible yellow light that comes as standard.

Only problem is i've just been out at night, and i seem to have the centre concentration of the left and right headlight aim's hitting different angles...so the left beam seems higher than the right, and both are hitting the road...so you actually see two blotches of light in the road, but they're uneven!!

Can anyone tell me if it's worth trying to adjust the aim's by hand, and if so, how?

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
I think this can be done fairly easily if you can find a suitable spot(very level, no other traffic), and depending on how fussy you are..

Have another man make adjustments; stay behind the wheel and guide him.
The initial set up must be very close to begin with - so this would be tweaking - and, of course you must know what you are doing...
Or this can be done more accurately with a tape measure and a obliging building and some chalk..
The focal point is 20 to 25' away and 2" down and 2" to the left...
This, as I recall, is how the old VW lights were aimed at some places..
This is a fair amount of work, but after a good set up and some practice can be rewarding..
Otherwise one must pay $20 to $50 to have it done with expensive equipment..

·
Registered
10,508 Posts
Your headlight beams should have a sharp horizontal cutoff that you can use as a guide to even the beams out. The headlight adjuster motors on the backs of the headlights have a small black knob on them that's used for vertical adjustment. There's a large grey knob for horizontal adjustment.

·
Registered
131 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Adam, that's very helpful..

i had a go tonight, adjusted them to what i feel is probably best and safest alignment within the constraints of the law...i'll see how they go but so far i'm not very impressed with the lights...if i still feel they're not right i'll take them to the nearest MoT station and get it done properly..

Actually i think it's the bulbs themselves. I got them from eBay, they're AUTIC Blue 100/90W

Has anyone used these bulbs? What's your opinion of them..

I've been reading around and people have mixed views of changing from Halogen to whiter bulbs as the light is less effective, even with brighter bulbs.. I have to say i might have to agree.

Can anyone recommend some better bulbs, obviously the aesthetics are important (nice white light/with blue tint) but i'd like the light itself to be more effective...

Or am i just asking too much and should revert back to the original bulbs?

I just think it's a shame, i have a nice Convertible and the lights are just letting it down :confused:

I read a few posts around some Canadian bulbs, i think they were called Eurodezigns and were 8500K? What does this mean? and what rating should i be looking for?

Any help is very much appreciated.

When i was a kid, my dad had a 9000i...(87 model) i was fascinated by it, i ordered the original brochures for it from Saab HQ and just read as much as i could about them..i think i was around 13 at the time..then a couple of years later, my dad changed to an Audi for a while, and then we got a 9000 Turbo S...wow..now that was a car...we had her for almost 4 years and when we sold it at 165k miles, it was still going strong on the original turbo...

I have a lot of respect and fascination for Saabs, and my current car is almost a dream car for me, only in the sense that it's one car both my dad and i have said one of us has to have at some point in our lifetime...and i'm not disappointed...

Any other HOT Aero Convertible drivers out there?

Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts