SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi again,

Rookie here again - changed plugs tonite....the old ones were ugly and about a .060-.080 gap.....lol, surprised it found spark.

Two questions:

1. Headlight adjustment - they're both down too far - I can leave hi-beams on and nobody blinks at me......i see an upper adjustment knob on the inside on both and a lower adjustment knob on the outside of each headlight.....are those the adjusters first of all? And if so, which way to turn both to first raise them up?

2. Cruise control - I miss having it. I turn it on and it lights up on the dash, but i have no cruise....where would I start to figure this out, and is it easy to get to wherever I need to? I have no manual or anything.

Thanks in advance.

Rick

·
Registered
63 Posts
Cruise control

I've been fighting the cruise control issue ever since I purchase my '91 Saab Vert early last summer. So far, I've got over $450 invested and it just stopped working again! If anyone has waded through a good analysis of this system and can point out where to look for problematic causes of failure I sure would appreciate it. The Saab dealer I bought my car from seems to have taken on the attitude that it's something I'm doing that causes the failure. He may be right since I drive the car on nice days, cruising back country roads - and that's apparently against the rules!

·
Registered
101 Posts
The cruise on my 91 does not work. I have a Bentley and know that there are many many components to the system. I have not yet diagnosed the entire system. Some of the items are beyond my expertise (I have very little of that). Switches, pumps and regulators, Oh My! Can anyone tell us what the most likely culprit is?

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
If you have original lamps, chances are they are hazy due to wear and tear. Its been fourteen years since a new c900 was built (exept for misu and his project-car) aiming old lamps may not be your answer. As for the c.c. issue you are having, once again these systems are old (the pump motors often fail; after that long I don't blame them) and the vacuum tubes are not getting any younger. Poke around a bit, I'm shure you will find at least one dried out rubber hose.:cool:

·
4,637 Posts
The lower adjuster is up and down, the upper adjuster is left and right. See the headlight aim pages in the tech section on Daniel Stern Lighting. That said, as griff900 said, your reflectors may be poor...

·
Registered
31 Posts
:D the most likely reason for cruise not working or intermittend probs are misaligned or faulty pedal switches , then bad wiring / bad contact at terminals or dry solder joints inside the ECU and no signal from the speed pulse generator in the dash ( speedo ) also possible is a leak somewhere in the vacum hoses to and from the pump ( and switches ) but that usually manifests itself in erratic behavior if its a small leak
another one is the lil chain link from the servo to the pedal may have broken or fallen off
all these checks are easy to do when kneebolster is removed
i work on vw audi and bmw mostly which all use the same system as saab ( made by HELLA )
hope this helps

1 - 7 of 7 Posts