SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
4,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quickie. Thanks to Si, I now have pretty much all of the parts needed for a face-drop. The only thing I don't have are the headlamp wipers (I do have the mounting brackets). I have the headlamp wipers off the new-style front and I reckon I should be able to use them.

Now, I haven't started dismantling yet (that'll be a week or so yet) but I'm just wondering if a kind soul with a pre-facelift C900 would measure the length of the headlamp wiper motor shaft from mounting bracket to tip (or pivot point of the wiper itself) so I can see if my existing ones will just bolt on or will spacer pieces be needed?

Thanks in advance...

·
Saab Mad
14,069 Posts
Amongst the various not required headlamp wiper motors in my garage, I found what I think are pre-facelift units.

First one, shaft length 108mm from top of shaft nut = 108mm; shaft length from bracket = 114mm.

Second one, shaft length from top of shaft nut = 63mm; shaft length from bracket 69mm.

I don't know which motor fits which side.

What you'll of course notice is the vert short shaft for one of the motors. The two post-facelift headlamp motors have shafts of identical length.

Both wiper motors and rule are still downstairs in the kitchen, so I can make more measurements if required!

·
4,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Matthew said:
I don't know which motor fits which side.
The top one with the shielded bracket is left hand side. I presume the shielding is due to the opening in the airdam for flow over the intercooler so that the motor stays dry(ish)..
What you'll of course notice is the vert short shaft for one of the motors. The two post-facelift headlamp motors have shafts of identical length.
Oh bother... This looks like some serious hacking will be required (or the purchase or an old motor). Given that the battery and horns all hang out under the headlamp on the right hand side, I presume the shorter length is to allow the motor to clear those items.

It wouldn't be any great task to add a 45mm offset to the bracket mounting but, given the angle in the bracket that shows up in pic 3 above, the wiper itself would be off its correct position.
The other (hacking) option is to lop off 45mm of shaft. This would have to be done at the motor end 'cos I don't have the technology to re taper and thread the outer end. Attaching the drive gear to the newly shortened shaft will be the problem here.
Finally, I could pick up a (failed) short shaft motor and cannibalise that (assuming the internal gearing is the same).

I note that the wipers point in opposite directions between pre and post-facelift sets. The post-facelift set point in towards the grille while the pre set point out towards the sidelamps. Luckily this is dealt with by the simple expedient of swapping the motors from side to side. Orientation of the motors themselves (one vertical, one horizontal) is not a problem since the wiper arms can be attached at any angle to the shafts.

Thanks Matthew, no more measurements needed. Please feel free to stash them again before the Mrs gets cross... :D

Oh I do so love engineering... :eek:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts