SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I was looking through the previous posts on this topic - and most seem to reference this source:
http://pages.infinit.net/mlbriand/saab/headlightwiper/headlightwiper.html
However, that was a while ago and the link no longer works.
The WIS has some guidance - but not the troubleshooting info I think the above source contains.
I've unscrewed the nut at the end of the wiper - and checked that both were seated ok.
Fuses - seem to be ok - as my normal wipers - including the rear work ok.
I have found some replacement (used) motors for both L & R - but before I spend 200+ - I'd like to know if there is anything I can check.
They did work, and the RHS one always did seem to 'park' up, but I understand that is normally a function of the 'wipers not being activated long enough.
Any guidance would help.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
They go intermittent because first/moisture (probably not much of the latter for you!) gets rammed into the workings by high speed. Sometimes one won't park, but next time you look, it has. Its not a function of the switch not being activated long enough - they park by the same method as the windscreen wipers do.

One option is to dismantle. I'm no brain surgeon and was able to do so. On a 9000 (similar design, different orientation) I found a 2 cm nylon disc in a same sized hole in a metal plate would not turn. Freed it off and it worked again. In extreme case you might need to replace all the grease but if its got that far its possibly gone.

I also found one where the motor gave off sparks all the time. That can't be right.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Jeremy & Doug. It is a starting point.
Just to clarify - there is only one fuse that controls both - is that correct?
Because I was only looking at the cabin fuses - not the fuses in the engine 'fuse' box.

·
Registered
8,902 Posts
Thanks Jeremy & Doug. It is a starting point.
Just to clarify - there is only one fuse that controls both - is that correct?
Because I was only looking at the cabin fuses - not the fuses in the engine 'fuse' box.
I have opened these up. They are a pain. Also, for some reason, in my experience, the RH wiper motors are more troublesome than the LH motors. Not sure if that would be backwards for the Antipodes.

The link you posted does not work.

My advice would be to pull out the wipers. The operations is quite simple. There is a ground wire, a constant power wire, and a trigger wire. I'm not sure of the colours, except probably black for negative, and yellow and red for positive. Look it up in WIS before blowing yourself up.

Hook them all up, to +12V. The wiper should run. As soon as the trigger's +12V is removed, the wipers should run a bit and park. It's very helpful to have the connector and some stub wiring that the wipers plug into, so you can just jump them to a battery.

My guess is that they won't run at all. The motors can go bad. And the contacts that make the motor run, and then park, can get dirty.

There's a protective "thermal fuse" in the assembly if you open it up. I believe that a lot of the online advice has you insert it into the wrong place in the contacts. But it's been a long time since I looked into these.

·
Registered
436 Posts
They go intermittent because first/moisture (probably not much of the latter for you!) gets rammed into the workings by high speed. Sometimes one won't park, but next time you look, it has. Its not a function of the switch not being activated long enough - they park by the same method as the windscreen wipers do.

One option is to dismantle. I'm no brain surgeon and was able to do so. On a 9000 (similar design, different orientation) I found a 2 cm nylon disc in a same sized hole in a metal plate would not turn. Freed it off and it worked again. In extreme case you might need to replace all the grease but if its got that far its possibly gone.

I also found one where the motor gave off sparks all the time. That can't be right.
The sparks are the heating function to melt the ice off the wiper blades and lamps ;) LMAO

·
Registered
7,686 Posts
HIGH SAAB MASTER tells another story again, which is not true.

Axle seal swells and causes friction and thus more current to motor, motor warms up and thermal fuse activates.
Wiper will park when thermal fuse cools down.

·
Registered
436 Posts
HIGH SAAB MASTER tells another story again, which is not true.

Axle seal swells and causes friction and thus more current to motor, motor warms up and thermal fuse activates.
Wiper will park when thermal fuse cools down.
You really don't understand humor do you Mimmi munapää? Thats the whole point of the "LMAO" at the end, and you are the 1% out of 100 that doesn't know that LOL

·
Registered
17,945 Posts
Boys, boys, boys... let's stay cool. There's enough to be troubled about in the world today beyond wiper motors.

My opinion is that those motors just don't run often enough. I think it's inaction that kills them. I've repaired a couple by cleaning and just running them repeatedly... and then eventually they fail again months or a couple years (who can keep track) later. Not to mention, getting them apart is a RPITA. I'm good at dis-asembly, but I found these particularly painful with clips that just don't want to let go. Those shells are thick.

·
Super Moderator
19,766 Posts
knock it off

Reactions: Cap'n P.Zazz
1 - 11 of 11 Posts