SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gonna replace headgasket this weekend,wondering other than headgasket what else should I do while I have the engine apart gonna also do water pump and engine mount. Are there anything special that I will need like bolts that may break?

·
Registered
12,793 Posts
You will want an intake and exhaust manifold gasket (I assume you are sending the head off to get it checked at least?), if you get a headgasket kit it will probably come with these along with valve stem seals and a valve cover gasket. New exhaust manifold studs is probably a good idea since you will probably break one or two removing the manifold. Might as well do the distributor hole plug while you are in there. When doing the water pump also do the thermostat and seal and the U shaped hose by the water pump.
You will also want new crush washers if you are disconnecting the turbo.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not sending head off...its not even that serious I have a very minor leak where to maybe every 3 months I need top off coolant reservoir. Do I need to remove turbo in order to do the head? Or can it be done another way?

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
You could clean and paint the now exposed engine block, and how about using brass nuts on the exhaust studs.. That would look "street rod" or "more deluxe".
Its a must to replace the stretch bolts - their downside is one time use..Their up-side is a greater torque and no need to re-torque (supposedly).

·
Registered
12,793 Posts
In Theory you can remove the head with the intake manifold and TB attached and the exhaust manifold with turbo attached (you will still need to disconnect the turbo lines from the block. But in reality it will make things very difficult, especially when trying to reinstall the head.

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
If you are only loosing a small amount over 3 months. You might want to try a head bolt retorque. That would only cost you a valve cover gasket set... Ron

1 - 8 of 8 Posts