SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Banned
5,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I had to rip the head linning out to remove my boot lid and install the new one, this gave me a chance to replace the damaged tube lights and remove the highly illegal LCD flip down screen.

So I have installed new lights as I had some holes from the LCD screens mounting holes, I filled these in with four 10mm white LEDs, but did I stop there? yeh you know me, OTT or is OPP

Well I did this so far, 4 blue Cold Cathode tubes with 60,000 AC volts which gives a nice ripple affect that I have on an adjustable inverter so I can increase or decrease the ripples ergo the brightness.

The Blue thunder effect is lost on the camera with the correct exposure, but you can see it with the human eye and it looks like this.

I then installed 12X10mm LEDs in the front and I think the stock light in the rear view mirror are weak and out of position for map reading or general anything that requires some kind of light.

I have these on a 4 step brightness circuit, pushing the button increases the voltage and they get brighter to suit your mood or what ever

There really bright at a certain angle but it can't hurt your eyes unless you look directly into them, they project white orbs with purple halos, it feels nice and looks trippy.

Now what do I do with the back? I don't want to go LED mad,(TOO LATE!)

I know but still, the back is very dark as I have limo tints on my car and even though I have the blue lights its to weird for people that don't know me or the car, so what could I do with the back in terms of LEDs?

This is the space I have to work in.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
dang! you're a genius with lights... you should make courtesy lights in the doors next :cheesy:

·
Banned
5,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ah the doors! thats the kind of ideas I wanted;)

I hadn't forgotten the back, I just wanted some ideas for interesting patterns for the LEDs.

I went for 16 LEDs in total, so it won't over power the fronts, I also put in rear switches with 4 stage dimmers so eash passenger can control the lighting levels on there side, for long trips or book readers.

This is the brightest setting on all the LEDs and CCT lights, I will have to see how it looks in the car, my interior is all dark grey so I need a boost of warm light, too much blue can be sad I think, anyway time for bed:lol:

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
Be careful though - any more lights in there and airplanes might start trying to land on you! ;)

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
shahid... you totally have too much time on your hands.... lack of sleep is a bad thing for an active mind ;) :lol:

G

·
Banned
5,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
The middle of the night or early morning is the only down time I have:lol:

I like the quietness as well, it helps me think better, you would be shocked if you knew how much RF energy is in the air in the day times, thats why sicko audiophiles listen to their hi-fi in the middle of the night, the main grid or power supply is at its cleanest.

I'm not happy today with what I've done, I want some other colour or tone amongst the whites but not LEDs, not CCT tubes, what else is there?

The other reason that I didn't want to mention just in case it does not happen is, my car may be used low budget film:) I won't get paid thats how low budget the film is, but I was asked to rig up some kind of lighting gels for the actors faces, I hate the light you see in films, you know fine well the actors have tubes lights under the dash on there knees or above the sun visors, it looks really unrealistic to me, thats another reason why I installed dimmers.

·
Banned
5,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
IronJoe said:
Don't you mean Rice:lol:

The only reason these guys wanted to use my car is because the camera can be mounting on the hood and its level with the wind shield, most modern cars have slopped fronts.

Its 3.10am I have work tomorrow ay 9.00pm but I just can't sleep, its a sickness, I should really have a night job, suits me down to the bone.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
ShadowWorks said:
you would be shocked if you knew how much RF energy is in the air in the day times, thats why sicko audiophiles listen to their hi-fi in the middle of the night, the main grid or power supply is at its cleanest.
i thought my neihbors coke-heads, but it looks like it could be much worse:cheesy:

·
Banned
5,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
grif900 said:
that was supposed to be a joke, you know the funny kind.:)
I got it man, never explain a joke:lol:

My sunroof is still the original cream colour, I went to see if I could source more grey suede but they had only browns, creams, black and red, nothing close to grey, not sure I want to leave it cream on my grey linning?

Has anybody retrimmed the sunroof linning?

I know its going to be a pain in the cass to remove it, is it worth that much hassle?

·
Banned
5,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ShadowWorks said:
Has anybody retrimmed the sunroof linning?

is it worth that much hassle?
Yes it's worth the hassle:lol:................................. just

I dropped the whole sun roof tray,and removed the sliders and the top outer sunroof skin, its a lot of sliders and moving parts, thank God I took a few pictures to remind me of what goes were and how.

18 years, no wonder it looks tired.

I hand stitched the fabric to the plastic lip that is a gripper rail but I was wasting my time, the Grey fabric I used did not have the required stretch or flex in the weave so I could not pull it tight, I had to use cow gum glue:roll: it took all of 5 minutes to apply and it bonded right away as I put an accelerator in it, I wasted 5 hours stitching everything together:x

Well at least I go some practice.

I could not find the same batch or colour as my original Grey fabric, I called three distributors and they sent me samples of their version of Grey 113, nothing matched, I tightly stitching together odds and ends I had from two odd years ago, the colour seems lighter with the flash but its the same fabric, I'm was at a loss to explain the browning of my head linning, after I dabbed it with some foam it cleaned up and lightning in colour.

Did I mention how much of a contortionist's you need to be to install the sunroof try and head linning by yourself, get a second pair of hands if you can help it, or you can use your feet:lol:

·
Banned
5,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The glue had lost its bond with the fabric and sunroof metal, I think it gets hit with some water in the sunroof tray, not much but enough over the years, this little edge is what made it sag.

I couldn't tell from the outside but this area wich makes contact with the rubber seal on the sunrood had worn out and surface rust was taking hold, I dremmeled this all away and 2 Packed it shut with a paint brush, I did the whole inside of the roof and its worth it even if you don't replace your headlinning.

This is the sunroof skin and it had some rust on it too, I removed all the rust and just brushed on more 2 Pack.

All this took a day and half to do so I recommend you put something over your sunroof like a heavy black bag and tape the Bajeezuz out of it.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
very informative,sorry ive posted this question before the finished product. -youve mentioned great sound in a c900 before ,now youve tipped yer hand.how deep are the drivers in your rear pannels? they look like twin 8"s from here.dont they "fight" with each other?

·
Banned
5,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Once your happy with the tension in the new fabric and its well bonded you can set about installing it back in.

If you look closely you can see the joins in the fabric because this was made from scraps, if I ever find the right batch colour I will do this all over again:lol: but I can live with this because I did a good job.

You can't see any of the light sources directly from outside unless you crouch down, I still have to tweak the install bit its almost done.

·
Banned
5,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I forget that some of you guys are interested in music and speakers;)

They are 8 inch cones, I had to make a baffel so they would not hit the side metal skin on the inside, the area for the side arm in the door card is angled so its not very deep if you plan on just putting speakers directly into it.

The first baffel I made was very strong but wrong, I never accounted for the flipping down of the seats and the swing of rear seats.

In the second rear door cards I made sure I recessed the baffel by 10mm before the drive unit, now I can put my seats down with easy unlike before.

I basically trimmed a plywood panel to fit the area ruffly and then bonded it with clear silicone, its still very dense and absorbs the baffels energy well so the speakers sound focus and don't rattle the door cards because there only light weight foam.

If you make your own baffle and trim it with some fabric like me you can stick in a 5 inch deep woofer or 130mm deep speaker, thats plenty deep.

You don't need rear speakers for true 2.1 stereo which is simple and better for just jamming as you drive;)

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
ShadowWorks said:
You don't need rear speakers for true 2.1 stereo which is simple and better for just jamming as you drive;)
and right you are, but a all of the new head units that i can buy here have four main speaker outs (with decent wattage so id like to use them) and ive come to a point where im very happy with the preformance level of my 88, and its time to upgrade the interior sound. ive been looking at some deep 6" drivers for the rear pannels, and only want to cut holes once.:cool:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts