SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello ladies and gents. I'm looking for new headlights. Not your normal lights, but those special oh-my-god-i-feel-like-my-eyes-are-on-fire when i come up behind you, kinda lights.

Any suggestions on the brightest replacement bulbs?

P.S. I drive a 2002 9-3 SE Hatch

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
SilverStone641 said:
Hello ladies and gents. I'm looking for new headlights. Not your normal lights, but those special oh-my-god-i-feel-like-my-eyes-are-on-fire when i come up behind you, kinda lights.

You mean the kind that bothers the driver in front of you or coming on the other side and may cause an accident? :nono; Those should be illegal if they're not already banned in your state.

You can buy brighter lights without being dangerous on the road. You can also use brighter bulbs for the fogs that can add a lot to the visible distance in front of you.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
There should be a law against these super bright lights - what is the matter with people today ?

Must they be so annoying ?

End of rant .
Osram Rally 65 seem to be bright enough, without blinding others, I think..Read the thread on this, its only 3 to 4 days old.

Lighting is another interesting subject - if our roads were well illuminated, only "parking lights" would be necessary.
On Long Island the parkways are well lit, or they were 30 years ago.. This must cost a fortune....

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
SilverStone641 said:

You want brighter H4 bulbs (factory) or do you want to do an HID conversion? The "oh-my-god-i-feel-like-my-eyes-are-on-fire when i come up behind you, kinda lights" you're talking about are probably an HID conversion, High Intensity Discharge. I did an HID conversion on mine, they are pretty bright. I chose an H4 hi/lo kit, 35W Xenon low beam, 50W Halogen high beam, colour temp is 5000K so they're light output is pretty much white, not blue or purple, 2,700 lumens. Factory D2S/D2R bulbs are 4300K (Kelvin) 3,000 lumens. A standard H4 bulb produces 60/55W = 1650/1000 lumens. Like I said their pretty bright so I had to re-aim the headlights much lower from the horizon to help reduce glare to other drivers, you're not gonna get much brighter than Xenon HID's.

I'm sure there will be a lot of opposed opinions regarding HID conversions from people on here, but hey if you can buy it and your local law enforcement doesn't do anything about it like where I am in Toronto, then do it, its your car. If these kits are indeed "illegal" then the dealerships wouldn't be selling them; my local Saab dealership parts counter sells HID conversion kits in Thornhill.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lol, i didn't realize this was such a touchy subject. I don't mean illegally bright, but vehicle like Navigators and Acuras and some of the newer SUVs have the super white, bright lights. I'm looking for this kind of setup.

Oh, also, does anyone know a cheap place to pick up a left fog-light? i picked up a rock

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
SilverStone641 said:
lol, i didn't realize this was such a touchy subject. I don't mean illegally bright, but vehicle like Navigators and Acuras and some of the newer SUVs have the super white, bright lights. I'm looking for this kind of setup.

Oh, also, does anyone know a cheap place to pick up a left fog-light? i picked up a rock
Yeah believe it or not but appears to be a very contentious topic. Those new vehicles use HID lighting, like I said, factory D2S/D2R bulbs are 4300K (Kelvin) 3,000 lumens.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts