SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, well tomorrow is the big day. I figured that this weekend is going to be about the only time I have to do the replace the gasket on the car so I am going to have some parts overnighted for eeuroparts. Is there any suggestions as to what other parts I need when doing the job... So far I have...

-Head gasket set, including valve stem seals
-Tensioner Gasket
-Oil
-Antifreeze
-Bentley Service Manual (a must from what I hear)

I am doing the job in the car so it makes it a little more complicated but any pointers and tips would be great. I read the townsend imports guide too, but I would like to hear some personal experience/tips also. Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
Head gasket

I think your best off replacing the hea bolts too, I'm sure that people have had troubel re torquing the old bolts when resuing them.

I'm pretty sure that after a few k miles you have to retorque them aswell.

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
Yeah. If youre planning the gasket change in advance, you might aswell get the bolts too.

The haynes manual doesnt specify that you should retorque the 900 after a certain milage. You just run to temperature, let it cool then do 90degrees (from memory).

It might also be worth checking what head the currently fitted bolts have before you start too. The ones in my 8v have a funny torx head - and i didnt have a set of torx sockets so had to chance it with a standard socket - which just about gripped the bolt enough.

·
Saab Mad
14,069 Posts
The latest genuine Saab headgaskets do not need to be retorqued - follow instructionsin Bentley.

85Saab900SPG said:
any pointers and tips would be great. I would like to hear some personal experience/tips also.
If you search for "head gasket" or "headgasket" you'll find a wealth of information - really.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BCP7ES SPARK PLUG SET (4) $6.90 $0.00 $6.90 Remove
7561210 Fuel Injector O-ring $1.09 $0.00 $4.36 Remove
8818007 Head Gasket Set $69.90 $0.00 $69.90 Remove
7508690 Chain Tensioner Seal $1.69 $0.00 $1.69 Remove
8819708A Exhaust System Kit $129.50 $0.00 $129.50 Remove
5955794 Head bolt $3.60 $0.00 $36.00 Remove
0216861 Repair manual (16v) $35.90 $0.00 $35.90 Remove

I ordered the parts from eeuroparts and got the studs at the local dealer. I definately got the bentley repair manual though. Thanks for all the help and I will continue searching the forums for advice. Has anyone taken pictures of the procedure?

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
I went ahead and replaced my timing chain while I had the head off. Its pretty much a rollin job with the head off, thats using a split link chain of course. I also replaced all the belts, you've got a bit more room with the head off which makes it easier to replace them.

Do get a couple extra studs, particularly if its a turbo. Bent/broken studs are common and a real pain. You might also want to order new exhaust nuts, the locking kind. eeuroparts has two kinds, locking and non locking, look at the picture to make sure.

You may also want to get the Distributor O-ring and the oring for the turbo oil pipe. (if its a turbo). Also there are several other turbo gaskets, I replaced the gaskets for the pipe going to the top and bottom of the turbo, I didn't need any of the others.

This is just a thought, but you may want to get another head gasket too. If anything goes wrong and you have to take the head back off you'll be glad to have a spare on hand. The head gasket itself is only $10-15 dollars @ eeuroparts. Its a thought. :roll:

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
If you have an >M87 car with Torx E16 head bolts, you torque to 60Nm, then 80Nm then 90 degrees.

The hex and earlier cars do still require retorque and the heat/cool cycle. I don't recall. But it says all this in five languages on the gasket! :roll:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the tips and help... The project will start probably tonight and proceed into this weekend. I got the air compressor ready and the tools oiled. Just waiting for the parts and the service manual (FedEx hopefully should be here sometime.) I am thinking about taking pictures of the job for future reference and maybe posting them, once I am done. I am a little less weary about the procedure now since I talked to so many people.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Last tips.

1. Take pictures of every corner before taking things apart.
2. Buy zip lock bags for parts and label the bags, put all the parts/bags in a box. This WILL save you.

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
MSOEMiller said:
Last tips.

1. Take pictures of every corner before taking things apart.
2. Buy zip lock bags for parts and label the bags, put all the parts/bags in a box. This WILL save you.
Heh. I just bought another car and looked :lol:

Having an more-or less identical car parked next to the one you are doing the job on really helps on the final connecting of vacuum lines. Everything else is pretty straightforward as long as you were the guy who took it apart. The wiring harness is very simple to put back, and it is also labeled (CYL 1, CYL 2, NTC, CYL 3...) and colour coded. But the vacuum lines can require concentration, there is a vacuum routing diagram on the left fender, but a second car is so much better :lol: Just use that as an excuse to buy another Saab, you need it for reference.

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 900t
Just use that as an excuse to buy another Saab, you need it for reference.

That's works 1/4 of the time between my 8v N/A and my SPG :roll:
LOL
Yea, if you decide to get another Saab for comparison purposes then you will want to make sure its the same model.
None of my 88's are the same, they don't even use the same AMM. lol

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
89 900 turbo
90 900 turbo (needed headgasket).

90 900 S (needed gasket)
92 900 S (doesn't)

I'm set :lol:

You'd be really surprised at the differences between M89 and M90. 89 has power belts, 90 has airbag, ABS, different head casting, slightly different on many points.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, maybe I could have been wrong this whole time about the head gasket. I think there was a bunch of stuff pointing to it but since I have replaced the plugs and fuel pressure regulator (there was gas in the vacuum lines) it seems to be running like new. The fans aren't kicking on, but I am sure that the answer is somewhere on the forum.

Here is what I believe to be the problem:

(1) The oil filter housing gasket appears to be blown.
(2) The fuel pressure regulator diaphragm was shot
(3) No exhaust and no back pressure (seemed to be a problem)
(4) I used autolite plugs previously and they completely fouled.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts