SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys.

Car has been losing coolant (not an awful lot but enough to set the coolant warning off) for a while now.

O2 sensor started playing up yesterday as well after being replaced not long ago.

Sooo... I'm thinking of replacing my head gasket. It might not necessarily NEED doing but either it'll stop the leak or it'll be a preventative measure as the car is currently on 126,000 miles with (as far as I know) the original head gasket.

a) Is this a good idea? (I'm not worried about the mechanics)

b) If the HG has not 'gone' already then I've saved myself the hassle of flushing old oil out of the coolant system or vice-versa (having a MAJOR issue doing this on my C900 which has left it off the road for a long while!)

c) As I've got the Stage 3 hardware and a Stage 3 ECU apparently on it's way it will ensure all is ok for that

d) If I remove the head before it overheats or whatever, I guess I shouldn't really need to get it skimmed (I will of course check it with a flat anyway)

Input please!

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I would perform a pressure test to see if this even needs to be done. That being said, if you're gooing to do it, go ahead and get the head machined and order some valve guide seals.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Valve seals - what a horrible job (luckily I've got some seal stem pliers from the HG change on my C900!)

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
StormCrow said:
Valve seals - what a horrible job (luckily I've got some seal stem pliers from the HG change on my C900!)
Since you're going with stage 3, have you considered getting a copper head gasket? They are not too that much more.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts