SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the past 3 or 4 days, I've read everything I can read about replacing the head gasket......My first question is (based on what I've read) what is the average I'd expect to pay to have it done......

Second question....Some post's make it sound like a daunting task...Others,
sound like it was replacing a headlamp.....For me the biggest concerns are the timing chain, 0 BTDC, lifting the head off, possible warpage, and where do I send the head if it is warped.....I am engineering/mechanically inclined but, I am not a mechanic. so,I don't easily get upside down in territory where I am clueless..Well not intentionally, although I have a habit of liking loose Saabs:cool: and fast :nono; .....ok you get my drift...

I'd like to salvage the coupes (and I luv my purple coupe :cheesy: ) head gasket to possibly drop the engine into my 97, which may have an oil sludge rod or valve problem......

Any help would be greatly appreciated....

·
Registered
246 Posts
Head gasket replacement.

Hi,
I changed the gasket about 4 weeks ago and didn`t find it too bad,i planned 1 day for removal / cleaning and 1 day for the rebuild. I managed it myself apart from lifting the head off and replacing the head which took two people due to the weight of the head and the position of the camchain tensioners. I found the most time consuming part was removing/replacing the inlet manifold due to the position of the bolts (i changed them for cap screws to make it easier). If you search for the "cam timing " post i posted here about 2 weeks ago i may help you with replacing the cam shafts in the correct position.

I was quoted £400 /$750 to do the job, i managed it for £120 / $220 which included gasket for the head/inlet manifold new head studs and a new thermostat just for good measure and i also replaced the water pump to block joining piece as it is easy to change when the head is off and it was starting to leak from the o-rings anyway.

Hope this helps,
Kenny.

·
Registered
5,905 Posts
In our area I think headgasket plus headswap was quoted to me for about $900. I asked then what about doing a chain too, they said $1200-$1300.

p.s. I was drinking in ellicott city sat nice, cool place. Very old world feeling.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Just take it slow and easy, Vulfiano...Many mechanics get into trouble as hey tend to rush too much.

Make prearrangement for the head work with a good shop - this will take some investigation - work with these people, they can be helpful.

Read up on this task in the Haynes, better yet, the WIS.

This head gasket job simply is not that hard, with the proper tools ($$$) and some study...

With your digital camera take a few befores and afters - this may help you and others..

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks All
From Turboken
I found the most time consuming part was removing/replacing the inlet manifold due to the position of the bolts (i changed them for cap screws to make it easier)

Screw caps???? I've looked back there.....Hmmm, tell me abou screw caps

If you search for the "cam timing " post i posted here about 2 weeks ago i may help you with replacing the cam shafts in the correct position.

I'll look for that post
From Tweek's Turbo
In our area I think headgasket plus headswap was quoted to me for about $900. I asked then what about doing a chain too, they said $1200-$1300.

One of my Indy's was around the 700.00 ballpark....:eek:

p.s. I was drinking in ellicott city sat nice, cool place. Very old world feeling.

Yeah, it is a cool spot....Try Havre de Grace on one of your day trips. It is no-where near the size of Old Town, but quaint, quiet, historic, and has a nice view of the Sussquehanna, just before Delaware.
From earthworm
Just take it slow and easy, Vulfiano...Many mechanics get into trouble as hey tend to rush too much.

Make prearrangement for the head work with a good shop - this will take some investigation - work with these people, they can be helpful.

Uhh, yuh

I'm planning against the weather at this time....This Summer/Autumn like weather will not last too much longer....So I'll be dumping coolant and replacing with regular AF for the possible frosty nights in case this extends into November....That said, I'm inclined to do it with a little help.....With the help of a little Curt Cobane and Led Zep and others, I suppose I could fix this little KimoSaabie.

Read up on this task in the Haynes, better yet, the WIS.

Here is a post re: Haynes Manual
"The Haynes section on engine overhaul seems pretty detailed, but I suppose it could be a little too basic for someone with experience doing engine work. The text is step-by-step, and not organized to look up specific things."

What is your 2 cents on this?

Other wise, Great suggestion as I tend to like doing things like this by the numbers

This head gasket job simply is not that hard, with the proper tools ($$$) and some study...

And this:

http://townsendimports.com/Web/engine_folder/headgasket90016v.htm

This is the one that sounds daunting....

With your digital camera take a few befores and afters - this may help you and others..

The Quest continues, still the biggest concern is the Timing Chain and cams.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Cap screws ?

Hi,
Cap screws (allen cap screws)are the type of screw that have an internal hex on the head of the screw, this allows the use of a "ball end allen key" which can be used at various angles to permit easier access to tight spaces for example the rear of the inlet manifold.I think the size was M8 x 35/40mm, this screw size uses a 6mm allen key.

The cam timing is not such a big problem if you use the yellow painted marks on the timing chain for camshaft alignment (not the casting marks on the cam shaft bearer blocks) and take your time and double check everything. I can try and post pics if you need more assistance.

Hope this helps,
Kenny.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
My take on the Haynes instructions - We have people here(Munki,PMI, Briand,Saaboheme,Radare, FD, Ragtop,many others) who have posted "how to" instructions of a far better quality than Haynes could ever hope to achieve.

Haynes, apparently is old-fashioned-traditional, takes a poor attitude IMO. Their ability to relate demands a lot of patience and tolerance.

I have found the use of the digital camera/computer to be nigh impossible - maybe it is so simple that it is very complex....:cheesy:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts