SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, was hoping i could get a bit of advice from the experts.

Bought a Saab 9-3 SE LPT 6 months ago. i'm very happy with the car .

Came up to its 66k service so took it into the Saab dealer to have it done. They did the service, but came back saying that I had a small oil leak from the head gasket. AFAIK the car hasn't overheated (there are no other tell tale signs - drops in coolant levels or leaks) and the car has always been serviced at Saab main dealers (not that always says much).

My question is, should I just have the head retorqued? Or do I need to part with the cash and get the head gasket replaced? (Bearing in mind the mechanic said that it wasn't serious and I just needed to keep an eye on the oil level for now).

Any advice greatly appreciated!!!!

Cheers,
Oli

·
Registered
246 Posts
Oil Leak @ head

Hi,
Is the leak at the front RHS ? if so a retorque may be all that is required ,if it is at the rear LHS around the timing chain tensioner it may be the seal on the tensioner body where it meets the head or the o-ring on the tensioner spring end cap ( on the timing tensioner).

Hope this helps,
Kenny.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the replies guys!

The leak is on the left hand side of the car when facing the engine bay. The leak looks very small at the moment.

I'm starting to feel slightly more relaxed now! :cheesy: The dealership quoted me £650 to replace the gasket so I'm going to give the "torquing" option a go first and see how I do. I will let you know how I get on!

Cheers!
Oli

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Oliver_u said:
Hello all, was hoping i could get a bit of advice from the experts.

Bought a Saab 9-3 SE LPT 6 months ago. i'm very happy with the car .

Came up to its 66k service so took it into the Saab dealer to have it done. They did the service, but came back saying that I had a small oil leak from the head gasket. AFAIK the car hasn't overheated an oil "leak" will not cause overheating, unless it becomes an oil drip -drip-drip- - a true leak... (there are no other tell tale signs - drops in coolant levels or leaks) and the car has always been serviced at Saab main dealers (not that always says much).

My question is, should I just have the head retorqued? I guess you can try this, But Saab used stretch bolts which are to be used (tightened) but once...supposedly..Or do I need to part with the cash and get the head gasket replaced?Poor economics, you really have just a oil seep ... What is the rate of loss ?? (Bearing in mind the mechanic said that it wasn't serious and I just needed to keep an eye on the oil level for now).

Any advice greatly appreciated!!!!

Cheers,
Oli
The dealers should learn to respect their clients economics a lot more, not everyone is as rich as they have become...(flat rate of $100 per hour) - thats more than my dentist earns:nono; ...
We really live in a buyer beware world today..
Good advice from the mechanic , the oil level must be monitored in any "high mileage" vehicle - leak or not..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts