SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, well finally got my oil plug off and my oil looks like mushroom soup. Looks like the GM side of my Saab 2.0 Turbo SE has come out to play. Blown Head gasket.

Does anyone have a write up on the steps to follow to change my head gasket ? Torque specs etc.... I have never done such a job, but am very good with hands. And figure I can do it, I fix my Harley's.

Need help and am begging for any info on how to do it.

I ordered a Gasket set, new head bolts, all the parts. So Now I just need to figure out what it is I am doing.

HELP St. Catharines Ontario, limited funds got to do stuff myself.

·
Registered
12,345 Posts
Do a search for poster 'glassybarrel' - he's been fighting a head gasket problem for a while. He has some 'dos' and 'donts' in the thread. It's 13 or 14 pages, so take your time and read through it... Ron

·
Registered
253 Posts
I just did the job myself and have a bunch of advice on the subject now.

but first a couple of questions: did your car overheat? Is there a coolant leak? When was the last time the thermostat replaced?

some tools you will need just off the top of my head:

Female torx 16 (to remove and install the headbolts)
torque wrench
compression tester
flat head screwdriver
extension piece for a 1/2 in socket wrench
3/4 in or 18mm wrench (i found the 3/4 in worked better)
pliers
engine cleaner
8-12 Liters of 10W30 or 10W40 oil
allen wrenches fir the cam cover and Direct Ignition coil

Quick tips:

Shop around for a machine shop that has reasonable prices and a good reputation. You will need them to inspect the head for cracks as well as resurface the head, and you may want them to clean and pressure wash it too.

Put all hardware (ie screws bolts etc) in labeled ziplocks to prevent a horrible mess during reassembly.

If you do not know how to do something ask first. I had many hard lessons during my head gasket change.

Here is a good resource:

http://www.saabcentral.com/~munki/technical/engine/mechanical/engine_assy.htm

(shows torquing sequence and specs + timing instructions + how to deal with the timing chain tensioner bolt)

Post with any questions at all. I do not want anyone to go through what I did. haha

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone.

Thanks for all the help guys, my first engine job, and I succeeded in doing my Head Gasket myself. New intake gasket, New Head Bolts, New Head Gasket, New Plugs, New everything. I toke my time, 14 hrs LOL. But She runs and no more coolant in my oil. Thanks to all the info I got from everyone here.

Still have to drill out oil drain plug, I have no idea why it is so stuck on, but nothing left to grab to. Any idea's on how to get it off /out.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Snap a pair of vice grips on it and turn.

Did you have a machine shop deck the head flat first before you put it back on?
Yup had my Saab guy clean the head and check it. She is good.

Tried the vice grips, ripped the bolt apart, had to suck old oil out, but I need the plug off to give oil system a good flush.

Never seen an oil plug on so tight. WOW

·
Registered
253 Posts
hahaha! you sucked the oil out through the top?! that is crazy. Did you try taking the oil filter off and letting a bunch of it just drain through that?

good job on the head gasket

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hahaha! you sucked the oil out through the top?! that is crazy. Did you try taking the oil filter off and letting a bunch of it just drain through that?

good job on the head gasket
Thanks for all your help, Yes I toke of the oil filter drain that, changed it, and pumped what I could through the top. But Still Working on the drain plug. Gonna try a bolt extractor if I can buy one tomorrow. Since today is a Holiday :(

·
Registered
11 Posts
Good Saab shop in Raleigh / NC

Hello all,

unfortunately the head gasket of my Saab 9-5 (2001, 4cyl, 2.3t Turbo) is damaged as well, after I noticed a major water leak on the highway too late... the engine turned off by itself, then after refilling and detecting the water leak, there is slightly white exhaust gas even in idle. My shop detected bad compression, so I believe I have the same job in front of me now...

As I currently don't have the time to learn and do this job myself, does anyone of you know an experienced mechanic here in the area who is willing to do the job for me for some money? Given the age of the car, I don't want to spend too much... Otherwise, is there a shop in the Raleigh area who I can trust for this? Screening the head for cracks would have to be done as well of course.

Happy for any recommendation :) ;ol;

Dom

·
Registered
1 Posts
sup guys i have a saab 93 2000. the whole top part of the engine is all dismantled. i discovered my head gasket was blown so i’m replacing it. i have all new head bolts and gaskets.
for the head gasket do i just lay it on? do i need some type of adhesive for the gasket?

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
Head and block should be completely clean and dry.... nothing goes on the composite gasket.

Be SURE you have a machine shop inspect the head before you put it back on. I cannot count the number of "it's going to be fine" stories that ended with the head coming off a second time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts