SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are two different head gaskets used for a 2.0 and a 2.3 engine and yet either gasket will fit either engine. One is a metal and the other has a red bead around the openings in the gasket. Can someone tell me the difference in these two gasket types? It looks like the metal one is used for a hi-pressure application. Thanks in advance since you guys have been very helpful!

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
There are two headgaskets used in the NG900/9-3 saabs..

The B2x4 has the old style composite. With the two colors and elastomer sealing outlines. They are thicker.
The B2x5 uses a modern MLS gasket. Mostly dark grey. Being thinner than the b2x4 they cannot be interchanged.

Basically you need the one for your motor.
If you are making some bas*@&$ motor from the two you must use the gasket that matches your pistons. (The 2x4 pistons stick up a little higher from the block.)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Head gaskets

Thanks to Nick Taliaferro! Yes that seems 100% correct. In my B-??? engine I will certainly measure the cc's and clearance at tdc and then use the gasket of my choice but most likely will be the MLS gasket and hopefully will get a compression ratio that will suit my desires with the pistons of choice.
Heck with my radical ideas I may have to just get an old non turbo 2.3 motor and add a hp turbo, then run it on propane for the higher octane. Hopefully it wouldn't fly apart on my joy rides.
Thanks again.
Charles Anderson

1 - 3 of 3 Posts