SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey! I have a 99 saab 93 se automatic. the coolant and the engine oil is mixing together so i need to change the head gasket. i was wondering if i can swap the head cylinder with a 2002 or 2001 saab 93 se head that i have as a spare. Any idea would be appreciated. Will i need to do any modification or good to go. the head was from a high pressure engine b205.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
We we need is a "public" EPC...then one could simply Google...and this applies to a great many things in ours lives.
The ramifications should be known....the newer head could give us a lower compression ratio....

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We we need is a "public" EPC...then one could simply Google...and this applies to a great many things in ours lives.
The ramifications should be known....the newer head could give us a lower compression ratio....

Thanks for the reply.by the way i got copy of the wis for the 9440 03-08 any idea on where to download 9400 wis?

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
T7 heads will work with T5 blocks. Use the T5 cams though as they are slightly more aggressive profiles and being an auto you'll need them, and I'm guessing use the T5 valve springs as the T7's are weaker and matched to the smaller duration cams. Leave the T7 valves in the car as they're lighter. I think you want to stick with the T5 head gasket, but I'm not positive. The T7's had better flowing heads too. I think there's something that needs modified like a bracket or something, but I'm not sure. Keep Googling T5 with T7 head, or T7 head swap, or similar until you find your answer. Not too many guys will answer here about it as I asked awhile aback and was told saablink.com has more of the gear heads. Also unsure about HP numbers from swap as well as compression numbers. If you decide to do it, write a mini write up with pics as it might be helpful and easier to locate an all-in-one write up.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
^^ all of this. I wouldn't mess with valve springs, but DO use the t5 cams. You will need the t5 (b204) head gasket. There's also 3 water ports on the intake side of the t7 head that have frost plugs in them. These will need to be removed to get proper coolant flow. The t7 head will be missing 1 "boss" for the lower bolt on the p/s bracket, just loctite the top 2 bolts, it'll be fine

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
^^ all of this. I wouldn't mess with valve springs, but DO use the t5 cams. You will need the t5 (b204) head gasket. There's also 3 water ports on the intake side of the t7 head that have frost plugs in them. These will need to be removed to get proper coolant flow. The t7 head will be missing 1 "boss" for the lower bolt on the p/s bracket, just loctite the top 2 bolts, it'll be fine
Won't he have problems with the valves at higher RPM's if he sticks with the T7 springs? Especially if he ever goes past the rev limiter? Out of curiosity, is a power steering bracket on a T7 car compatible?

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I don't think the springs are compatible between t5 and t7 (never investigated though) Didn't sound like the OP was looking for a 300hp car, just a daily.

I had the same thought on the bracket, the 99 9-3 has the proper timing cover for the t7 bracket.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the info. I will take the head out and see how it looks. It has a big leak for sure, because the water don't stay in the reservoir for long at all, it goes right in the engine. If the head is crack i will swap it if not i will stick to it, because it's my dad's car he's not looking for anything special really. I will keep you guys update once i take the head off.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I replaced my '00 with a t-5 block and kept my t-7 head. I did keep my t-7 cams, valves, and springs and everything has worked perfectly for about 40,000 miles. Most defiantly use the t-5 head gasket or your pistons will tap the bottom of your head (ask me how I know this...;oops:).

If you're pulling the engine out, I would delete the balance shafts...I noticed absolutely no extra vibration and it does free up a few ponies...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts