SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1998 2.3 na

I've got these head bolts for a BMW that are the same as a Saab's but are 2mm 3mm longer.
Does anyone know if they would fit ok or would i have to grind them off?

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Are they the same kind of torque to yield bolts Saab uses? I you use them just make sure the integrity of the bolt is not somehow compromised if you grind it. You could clean up the threads on a bolt hole on the block and by comparison see if the BMW bolt will go at least as deep as the Saab bolt.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are they the same kind of torque to yield bolts Saab uses? I you use them just make sure the integrity of the bolt is not somehow compromised if you grind it. You could clean up the threads on a bolt hole on the block and by comparison see if the BMW bolt will go at least as deep as the Saab bolt.
I forgot to mention that they are exactly the same as the Saab bolts except for that little bit of length.
Looks like i'm going to have to plumb a hole with a straw or something.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Good luck, I hope it works out. I noticed where you are from. Could be a bit more expensive than in the states. That is not always taken into consideration when answering a post. I think I have three sets. If you get jammed up and this doesn't work I'll send one of them over for the cost of postage.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good luck, I hope it works out. I noticed where you are from. Could be a bit more expensive than in the states. That is not always taken into consideration when answering a post. I think I have three sets. If you get jammed up and this doesn't work I'll send one of them over for the cost of postage.
Thanks mate.
It's the postage that kills it ;)

It's not impossible to get these bolts just not as cheap as where you are as you said and it seems silly to waste the bolts I have.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I gotcha on that one. I can't help but save every nut, bolt, washer, etc. Still, the offer is there. PM me if you want them. Maybe I can find a real cheap rate at the Post.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
One other thing, I know a guy in the Magazine Business over there. He imports a lot maybe he can let me know me the cheap route if we have to go that way.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
One other thing, I know a guy in the Magazine Business over there. He imports a lot maybe he can let me know me the cheap route if we have to go that way.
That's interesting, I'll keep it in mind. Thanks.
Those bolts weren't just saved, they were bought new along with rings, bearings and gaskets to rebuild the BMW engine but it didn't get done and most likely won't.

Um, did I mention that these bolts are new?

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Figured they were new. The guy I know owns AC Circulation Service in Melbourne. A thousand miles away from you, but he's a good guy and would help if needed.

I used to work with him (long distance of course) shipping US Magazine titles to him for distribution in AU and NZ.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts