SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I picked up a clean original owner 1999 well optioned-out estate wagon which has 96K miles and was 100% dealer serviced. Head gasket is intact, all tests done. LPT 2.3 model, of course.

Having done 2 leaking head gaskets prior, I was curious to the community's opinion on:

1. Leaving the head bolts alone
2. Replacing the bolts with new TTY bolts
3. Doing the TSB procedure and re-torque the OEM TTY bolts

Thanks for your replies.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I'd expect that if that car was 100% dealer serviced then they'd have done the head bolt TSB procedure already.

If the engine tests OK then I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Trust, but verify.

If the car was well maintained by a dealer, there should be record of the head bolt replacement. I had a 1999, and it did NOT have complete records to document this job. I had no clue there had been any such TSB until readig about it on this board. Without a clear documentation, I considered the job 'not performed'.

I decided to do the full head bolt replacement even though compression was good. I couldn't help my curiosity - so before doing the full procedure with new bolts I checked the torque on the bolts that were in place. I used the lower "1st torque" setting and followed the correct sequence. I found that more than half of the bolts tightened some at this lower torque value - a couple tightened more than a half rotation. (Yes, I did the whole procedure with new bolts after I did this 'scouting' exercise.)

That car was still running well when I gave it away last year, 6.5 years and 60K miles after that job.

·
Registered
7,885 Posts
My take is that you won't do any damage by checking them and if they are loose, that problem isn't going to go away and will get worse

·
Registered
61 Posts
FWIW, our '05 with 90kmi has a head gasket failing, losing increasing amounts of coolant. To buy time, I retorqued the head bolts. They all took the same amount of torque to break loose and when retorqued 45 lbs/ft and then another 90-degrees, the leak was slowed but did not stop.

jack vines

1 - 6 of 6 Posts