SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
From time to time (every 2000km), i can se a very heavy light blue smoke coming out from the exhaust. it last for about only 3-4 minutes and stops.
no warning on the dashboard, oil temp is OK, no specific noise, no performance lost.
I have no idea of what is it...
The last smoke test for pollution said everything was normal
my car is 6yo and 295.000km
I have noticed that the hosepipe (flexible) exhaust gaz collector has a little crack, is this linked to the heavy light blue smoke problem ? I have order a new one anyway because it smeels smoke inside the car when not driving.
Also sometimes the motor won't start, it starts only after 10 sec of rotation with the starter, sounds like water somewhere..
Any idea any tips and tricks ?
Thanks for your help ! :lol:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi Saabpoint,
I have the same car and had identical smoke problems a few years ago. The problem is almost certainly due to the crack in the flexible exhaust joint and becomes apparent when the particle filter decides to do a re-gen. Mine was changed under warranty about 3 1/2 years ago and has not happened again since then. As for starting, I also had the problem recently whereby it would require a lot of cranking in cold weather. Could be glow plugs - try turning ignition on and waiting until the 'check ok' message appears before starting. Mine also threw some codes - glow plug open circuit. However, all the starting problems went away when I bought a new battery (old one 6 1/2 years old). Now starts within one or two seconds after a cold night (currently minus 5 deg C here in the UK first thing in the morning).
Hope this helps.
Rick

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Rickl
Thanks for your feedback
The garage has recieved the exhaust flexible, and I get it mounted on Monday, as you said, I hope it will solved the heavy smoke issue. I will ask to check the particle filter to ensur that it's not t damaged.
Concerning cold-stating problem, I have try to wait for the end of the car system check, no difference. When I did it twice in sequence, sometimes, I have message saying "water in ingnition, please contact your dealer...". They check and change the fuel filter but still the same difficulties to start. I have notice a strange fact . In the early morning in Lyon France, my car starts fine, i drive 140km to Geneva (Switzerland), then in the late afternoon, when i take the car to drive back to Lyon (140km again), the engine fail to start easily.... its always like this, not depending of outside temperature, rain, etc... How strange.... (in Lyon my car is parked on the street, and in geneva in a underground public parking)...
May my car be not Switzerland compliant ?
Thanks again
Stats on my car : http://www.spritmonitor.de/en/detail/530426.html

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi Saabpoint,
I have seen the "water in ignition" message but only if I have stalled the car and immediately re-started.. SID seems to put out the first message it comes to!!! Is Geneva at a significantly higher altitude than Lyon (just a thought!)? See if you can get your mechanic to check if any fault codes are stored (using Tech 2 device if he has one).
Good luck with flexi joint.

By the way I will be passing through Geneva in January - off to the ski slopes at the Three Valleys (les Menieres).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No Geneva is only 150m higher than Lyon (400m, vs 250m)... not so significant...
I was used to stay above 1200m with this car and did experience such difficulty to start.
As soon as I can I'll try put a water dispersal agent, and replace the air filter
les Menuires is good place to ski especally out of the scholar french holiday times... less queue at ski-lifts..
Thanks again

·
Registered
51 Posts
Maybe try one of the uk based forums. Quick search of saabscene revealed this (one of many) http://www.saabscene.com/forum/thre...v-Starting-Problems?highlight=diesel+starting
There are more diesels in the UK and Europe generally so more people have had a greater variety of problems over this side of the pond.

Hope this helps.

Looking forward to skiing - depart on Jan 5th for a week. When are the French school holidays?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
starting issue

In my case, there is no link with the duration of non use. day or 2 weeks no differences.....
Thanks for the link, i'll follow it
----
no french holidays in January they start on feb 16th, lucky guy !

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Issue solved

Hi there
i have replaced the hosepipe (flexible) exhaust gaz collectorthat had cracks and have already driven more than 6000km without any similar symptoms.
Thanks to all for your messages and support ;ol;
(env 200euros for the flexible and 200euros for labor

best regards

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi Saabpoint,
Glad you got it sorted.
Rick

ps skiing at Les Menuires and the 3 valleys superb - 5 days of blue skies (and one day of snow and whiteout conditions) and 6 days of apres ski :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.