SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a 2000 9-3 Base that stood for a few months while awaiting some simple repairs (new brake master cylinder, brake booster hose replacement, radiator hose replacement, etc.). During this time, the brake pedal assembly became slightly corroded and stuck in the bottom position due to excess humidity inside the car (I apparently have a leak in the trunk area). In any case, my mechanic friend tackled this job, removing the pedal assembly, cleaning it out, and re-installing it. Oddly enough, upon finishing the job, the hazards, turn signals, and A/C compressor refused to turn on. They were all working before. I also noticed that the airbag light had come on. My friend was stumped and we left it at that for the day.

The next day, I decided to check all relevant fuses, which seemed fine. I then decided to reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes. Lo and behold, everything worked again - hazards, turn signals, and A/C compressor. Air bag light was still on. I thought I had fixed it, until the next day when I started the car, everything had stopped working. I repeated the ECU reset and voila, everything worked. It seems that if the car sits for a few hours or overnight, these specific functions eventually fail. Yet an ECU reset works every time. Neither of us know where to start, so any ideas are appreciated.

Here are some potentially helpful clues:

1. The brake pedal job required some dismantling in the engine bay, as you know
2. The dash section under the steering wheel was also taken apart
3. It started raining that day, and the engine bay and driver side fuse box panel may have been exposed briefly
4. There are no new notifications on the SID
5. It is always those three functions that fail
6. Water ingress in trunk area

Thanks

·
Registered
10,423 Posts
I would check through the grounds for the failing functions, and any other wiring damage.

It is possible that a wiring/electrical issue cause the system to set a fault code, just not immediately. You could also hunt up a Tech II and check what's going on, after the failures occur. Obviously there will be an SRS code behind the airbag light; there may be more codes for the other functions.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I'm thinking there is a plug he forgot to connect, which would cover all but the A/C, in the steering column.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Just above were you were working is the ICE control module. It is located on top of the relay box next to the brake pedal.
ICE would control turn signals and hazards it also controls the cooling fans which could effect the AC also. So I might check around there. Ofcourse a Tech 2 would help. The SRS would not be effected by the ICE. Also it probably grounds on the lower a pillar so I would check there as well.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all. I will start with those suggestions and report back.

Luckily I found someone locally who has a Tech II, but I will go over the ICE and grounds first.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Was finally able to hook up a Tech II to the car. Initially, there was no communication with the car. We removed the dash panel to take a better look at the connector, and the pins were apparently recessed. We pushed them back through and the Tech II came online; codes in pictures below. While down there, we took a look at the relay box, given that moving it around had caused the car to hesitate during start up last time. We pinpointed the issue to the Main Relay (Ignition System) and swapped that one out for one of the high beam relays up front. After that, car started on a dime and A/C, turn signals, and hazards were working again. The Tech II owner said he didn't reset any codes.

About two hours later, I re-started the car and again, A/C, turn signals, and hazards are not working. Any thoughts? P1640 could have something to do with it?

The only other thing we did was replace two blown cigarette lighter and sunroof fuses.

Also, I think the A/C fan is impacted by this. I could hear it screeching when I first started the car. Someone mentioned it above.

Gadget Font Display device Gas Sky
Purple Gadget Font Gas Electric blue

·
Registered
707 Posts
How do you have that many blown fuses? I would think your answer lies down that path (the why did they blow...not just replacing them).

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. Effectively tracking this kind of thing down is above my pay grade, unfortunately. All I could add is that the fusebox was briefly exposed to rain on the first day of working on the car. Then again, the sunroof (blown fuse) hadn't been working for years (didn't really mind I guess), so I don't know if it is related to this other issue, which is very recent. Any ideas where I could start looking? Does the P1640 code suggest faulty wiring in that relay box? Anything there that could be related to A/C, turn signals, and hazards?

Also of note: The sunroof now shifts a bit, but does not open completely.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks. Today I'm replacing Start Relay (K) and checking the Ignition Switch relay (E). I'll make sure to double-check all fuses, wiring, and connectors as suggested.

Rectangle Font Pattern Parallel Diagram

Doing a bit of research, someone had experienced similar issues and it was down to the actual ignition switch. Possible? Or would I have other issues?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I tried all the initial suggestions. Didn't solve the problem. Now I will try what you and Deskmechanic suggested. I wanted to double check the relays as well because I had starting issues when prodding around that area.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update:

Upon initial start-up today, everything magically worked (turn signals, hazards, A/C). On Friday (last start-up), all these functions were non-operational. I decided to go over pending troubleshooting items as I was sure the problem would be back sooner or later.

I checked all the fuses, which were fine. I re-installed the relay I thought was shot (originally in 'L' location, see diagram above) in the empty headlamp location (where the "good" one was borrowed from) and the headlamp worked. So, the Main Ignition System relay was okay after all. I proceeded to replace a blown RH/front turn signal bulb, which I could verify afterwards because at this point the turn signals were working. I then switched focus to some leaks I'm currently dealing with for a couple of hours.

Before calling it a day, I went to check the turn signals/A/C and, of course, they no longer worked. So, this is an intermittent issue. I thought that only the ECU reset would bring these functions back, but now I can confirm that they come and go on their own. At this point, I'm leaning toward Deskmechanic's faulty connector/pinched wiring idea. Time to dive under the dash again.

Thoughts are always welcome.

P.S. Actually, before closing shop, I noticed that the LH/front turn signal bulb was not staying "on" (despite not flashing when the car is acting up, the RH turn signal at least stays on). After removing the connector, I noticed that two wires were broken and the terminals were in bad shape. Seems unlikely, but could this have anything to do with the main issue?

Shoe Tire Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood

·
Registered
2005 9-5 Aero Wagon
249 Posts
Are your headlights also non functioning when this failure occurs?

i had this symptom - no turn signals, no lights, no butt fans, no seat heat and and no window lifts at random in my OG9-5.

all those are powered by the +54 terminal and grounded at g24. +54 lives on the ignition switch and the only fix for that is replace switch.

food for thought if your symptoms match.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Are your headlights also non functioning when this failure occurs?

i had this symptom - no turn signals, no lights, no butt fans, no seat heat and and no window lifts at random in my OG9-5.

all those are powered by the +54 terminal and grounded at g24. +54 lives on the ignition switch and the only fix for that is replace switch.

food for thought if your symptoms match.
Hey, thanks for the heads up. Not sure about seat heat, but my front windows still work. The rear windows have not worked for ages. Everything else you've mentioned I have as a symptom.

Ignition switch replacement seems to have been the solution here:

I will take it into consideration. That thread also mentions a loose ignition switch connection and a bad crimping joint J51 near DICE connector as potential culprits. More leads to follow...

·
Registered
9,707 Posts
I would look in WIS for that P1640. In my head I'm imagining this fault happens when the control module gets voltage from "somewhere" but not simultaneously on pin 1, which tells it the ignition is on, but the main relay isn't working properly. WIS will probably have specific steps for troubleshooting this. I'm gonna guess it means the ignition switch isn't powering the relay. Maybe the switch, maybe the wiring. You should clear the code and see if it comes back after you observe the next malfunction.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
WIS recommends the following:

1. Fault diagnosis concerns electrical fault in connecting leads or in the relay.
  • Checking the wiring
  • Jiggle the wiring harness at several points and in different directions to detect intermittent breaks and short circuits. Observe the multimeter, diagnostic tool or test lamp during the check.

Will proceed to clear code if no noticeable change.

I discovered another weird quirk today. Reset ECU, everything came back online as usual, BUT the A/C compressor deactivates in fan setting 4. Works perfectly fine 1 through 3, then drops out on setting 4. I can hear it clicking on/off.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts