SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ,
The car is a MY99 Viggen convertible ,
I have recently had the complete Dash out , ( including dash pad and instruments , both air bags )
I have been repairing the air distribution Part of the heater assembly due to jammed drums ,

The problem I now have is that my Hazards lights are continually on , and they came on the first time I reconnected the battery , They will stay on regardless of the hazard switch being connected or disconnected .
I have used a Tech 2 to look for fault codes but I dont find any ... I have had the seats out but have cleared the Air bag light.
Using the Fob to arm or disarm the security is having no impact ,

Ideas ?

·
Registered
8,828 Posts
All connectors are intact and connected correctly?

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Any chance you shorted a wire in reassembly? According to the WIS (download it if you don't have it), pin 3 on the twice gets grounded by the switch (pin 4 at the switch) to turn on the hazards. I'd unplug both ends and check to see if that line is grounded/shorted.

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do have at least one short somewhere , its relevent to Fuse 4 which is Switch illumination . It will blow the minute headlight are turned on .
Not sure if it is somehow related , The car has had some hack wiring done previously , there were several instances of Wires extended or replaced using crimp terminals at the back of the fuseboard , There has been Some arcing in the loom previously , i could see the Black tell tale on a metal bracket the loom clips too , so I assume the crimped in cables were relacing melted wiring ..... I am going to unclip the loom from under the dash and repair these crimps with soldered joins heat shrinked joints and then see if I have eliminated any shorts , at the moment its a bit of guesswork ,
Frustrating as I basically have everything reassembled .

I am also getting an ACC error 02 whith indictaes a short on the cabin temp sensor .

The LH power seat main feed was also on a crimped ( that was disconnected ) . SO i have discovered why the passnger seat never worked in the process...
I Will eliminate the poor wiriong and see where that leaves me ,... and post back ,
Thanks Mimi and Bob

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I have cleaned up the crimps (ensuring no shorts) and still have an issue with fuse 4 blowing , The hazzards remain constant as does the 02 error on the acc .
Bob you mention Pin 3 on the twice , where is this located ?

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I have cleaned up the crimps (ensuring no shorts) and still have an issue with fuse 4 blowing , The hazzards remain constant as does the 02 error on the acc .
Bob you mention Pin 3 on the twice , where is this located ?
Ok , I think its under LH Seat

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Turns out it was the green connector to the amplifier that was blowing Fuse 4 and triggering the hazards . I dont know what the problem is but it is certainly at that connection point.
You mean tha tjust having it plugged into the amp triggers the fuse blow? If so, that would indicate a bad amp. Unplugging it cures the problem?

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You mean tha tjust having it plugged into the amp triggers the fuse blow? If so, that would indicate a bad amp. Unplugging it cures the problem?
Yes Plugging the Green connector ( not the red and black power connector ) will blow fuse 4 and set of the hazards , leaving it disconnected the hazards stay off .

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes Plugging the Green connector ( not the red and black power connector ) will blow fuse 4 and set of the hazards , leaving it disconnected the hazards stay off .
it does suggest a bad amp , but previuslty that had been fine , I have an alternate to amp to try later today , And or another car to try the suspect amp in .

·
Registered
7,106 Posts
Something is either plugged into the wrong connector, or melted/spliced/damaged. The green connector is the speaker output, and is literally a point to point connection between the amp and door speakers - it's not fused nor shared with anything else. I don't think fuse 4 is related to the amp (that's #13)... what I would expect is that something that is fused by #4 (aerial, trunk light, switch illumination) is somehow connected to door speaker wiring such that when the amp is connected, the fuse blows as the circuit is shorted across the output stage of the amp.

I'd verify #4 does not feed the amp (remove fuse 4, test for power at the black amp connector), but even if it did I am not sure a dead short across speaker wiring would blow the power supply fuse for an amp. Most amps have circuit protection in place to prevent exactly this.

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Something is either plugged into the wrong connector, or melted/spliced/damaged. The green connector is the speaker output, and is literally a point to point connection between the amp and door speakers - it's not fused nor shared with anything else. I don't think fuse 4 is related to the amp (that's #13)... what I would expect is that something that is fused by #4 (aerial, trunk light, switch illumination) is somehow connected to door speaker wiring such that when the amp is connected, the fuse blows as the circuit is shorted across the output stage of the amp.

I'd verify #4 does not feed the amp (remove fuse 4, test for power at the black amp connector), but even if it did I am not sure a dead short across speaker wiring would blow the power supply fuse for an amp. Most amps have circuit protection in place to prevent exactly this.
Thanks JVAN , Agreed the green connector alone should not cause this ,,,
Studying the WIS now and can see that the amp power is # 25

whats interesting is that if I leave the Green connector to the amp connected , ( and leave #4 blown ) that hazards will come back on .... Also at this stage I have been unable to activate the hazards by the hazard switch . no doubt this is related , Keep in your mind that there has been some shoddy wiring done in this car previously ( Heaps of crimps near the fuseboard ) it has had a small electrical fire at some stage , evidenced by melted sheathing taped over and burnt cables with replacements crimped in .
Having said the above , I had not noticed any problems with electrical issues prior to reassembly after dash removal ..
The one good thing about all this is that the Air distribution of the heater is now correct and I have Demist ,,, ( the reason for the dash removal )
I will keep digging ,,, I have the luxury of swapping amps across identical Viggens to prove it isnt the amp at fault,

·
Registered
7,106 Posts
If there was pre-existing electrical damage, it's possible that just taking things apart and putting them back together again disrupted something that was barely hanging on before.

Here's a question: If you leave fuse 4 out, does the stereo work? Sound from the door speakers?

What happens if you do a continuity test between the power for the aerial, trunk light, and switch illumination and the four door speaker wires at the green plug? That should give you a clue as to what's melted to what. Because the hazards are also suffering, I'd check continuity between it and the speaker wires too.

Maybe you could get away with just running new speaker wires between the green plug and the door subharness, and let whatever is broken remain broken?

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If there was pre-existing electrical damage, it's possible that just taking things apart and putting them back together again disrupted something that was barely hanging on before.

Here's a question: If you leave fuse 4 out, does the stereo work? Sound from the door speakers?

What happens if you do a continuity test between the power for the aerial, trunk light, and switch illumination and the four door speaker wires at the green plug? That should give you a clue as to what's melted to what. Because the hazards are also suffering, I'd check continuity between it and the speaker wires too.

Maybe you could get away with just running new speaker wires between the green plug and the door subharness, and let whatever is broken remain broken?
I just went out to the car after my last posting , It dawned on me that the green plug was activating the hazzards ... yet the hazard switch was not .
Typing it out made the penny to drop ...

I had the 2 plugs between the Amp and the hazards REVERSED , they are branching off closely in the same loom .
I had connected the green plug to the green receptacle at the amp ... And the black plug to the black hazard switch , both plugs have identical keying ! Silly me believing GREEN connected to GREEN .
I then pulled the kick panel off my other viggen and confirmed , the green plug goes to the hazards ,,, the black plug goes to the amp ...
Problem solved, very relieved ,
I guess Miimi said it all in the first response... Are the connectors correctly ...
Thanks Guys ,

·
Registered
7,106 Posts
Ah, yes, the black -> green connection at the amp output is confusing! So the speakers were turning on the hazards, and the amp was blowing fuse 4. :) Glad you got it sorted!

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Good work. Odd that Saab used two similar connectors in the same area, but the amp was an option... so maybe they didn't pay it the attention it deserved.

They again, the headlight wiper motor and the headlight use the same connector and they're almost side by side. At least they are after you've pulled the bumper and re-installed it. Guess how I know that :)

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good work. Odd that Saab used two similar connectors in the same area, but the amp was an option... so maybe they didn't pay it the attention it deserved.

They again, the headlight wiper motor and the headlight use the same connector and they're almost side by side. At least they are after you've pulled the bumper and re-installed it. Guess how I know that :)
That would be funny , every time I hit the Washer button with my headlights on my lights start going up and down ! Lol

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Actually, it didn't do that as the power was on a different terminal, but I don't recall specifically what got me to notice it.... only my embarrassment at having done so.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts