SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1992, 900 Saab with a manual transmission. The other night when i was backing up i heard a pop and reverse stopped working. When i went to put it in first gear it was hard going into gear and it felt as if first was actually 3rd. I have worked on this car a little bit previously to get it on the road and it passed inspection in November. I was wondering whats wrong with my gears??? Please help and thank you

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I have a 1992, 900 Saab with a manual transmission. The other night when i was backing up i heard a pop and reverse stopped working. When i went to put it in first gear it was hard going into gear and it felt as if first was actually 3rd. I have worked on this car a little bit previously to get it on the road and it passed inspection in November. I was wondering whats wrong with my gears??? Please help and thank you
You may have just had the selector shaft pull out of the clamp on the coupling that connects it to the transmission. I'd check that first. You'll see the coupling on the passenger side of the transmission down toward the steering rack near the firewall. There is a pin that connects it to the transmission's selector shaft and at the other end there is a clamp which bites onto the selector shaft heading through the firewall back to the shifter mechanism.

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
I'll check that how accessible is that?
From underneath it is right there. From above you can see it too especially if the A/C is out of the way.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
You might also consider that the coupling may have torn. It will look like it is intact, if the old style and you won't be able to tell unless you watch while someone else shifts. If you were upgraded to the later style coupling you should be able to see if it is torn.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts