SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone hard wired there Radar? I bought a Passport 9500ix, and am wanting to buy the Direct wire kit so I can wire the radar to the fuse box. Any pictures would be nice.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I just wired mine to the cigarette lighter and ran it up from there behind the a pillar. the cigarette lighter is switched. having the detector as high as possible is best for range and for getting laser scatter. I have a v1. if you just got your 9500 i recommend switching ;)

·
Registered
980 Posts
I also wired to the back of the lighter and mounted the remote mute switch that came with the hardwire kit (passport 8500 X50) in the upper left-side of the large cubby below the lighter. The blue LED on the switch nicely illuminates the cubby and allows for easy access to the mute button. I ran the wire under the dash and fished it thru so that it exits at the SID (2003-2006 9-3's). I mounted my detector just above the SID. I know higher is better for laser, but I didn't the trust suction cups enough to mount it up high. I bought mine in 2006; the newer single large suction cup is likely a lot better than the two little cups that they were shipping back then.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, i bought it Friday so I think I will keep it for a long time. Pics of your install would be helpful. I mounted mine just above the SID as well. Of course I am still waiting to buy the direct wire till I know what I want to do.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I just wired mine to the cigarette lighter and ran it up from there behind the a pillar. the cigarette lighter is switched. having the detector as high as possible is best for range and for getting laser scatter. I have a v1. if you just got your 9500 i recommend switching ;)
+2

I'm ordering a new V1 with SAVVY in September when I we come over on holiday

·
Registered
182 Posts
That's funny about radar manufacturers. My whistler says as low as possible on the windshield...
Yeah, well, that's the thing: detecting RADAR and LIDAR are at cross-purposes when it comes to positioning. To detect RADAR, the unit should be mounted as high as possible on the windshield, for the same reason radio antennas get better reception when they are mounted higher. To detect LIDAR, the unit should be mounted as low as possible to increase the chances of catching a stray photon from the light beam.

In truth, if the officer is skilled at aiming the LIDAR device, your windshield-mounted unit probably won't pick it up, wherever you mount it. LIDAR uses a very narrow beam of light and there is very little scatter. Even if your alert does go off, it will be too late--you're already caught.

If I was still inclined to use a detector, I would mount it high to catch the RADAR and hope I don't ever cross paths with LIDAR while speeding. This is the main reason I just don't bother with detectors anymore. I just keep my speed less than 10 MPH over the limit unless the majority of traffic is flowing faster than that. Never had a speeding ticket, so it's an effective technique.

·
Registered
112 Posts
mever had a problem with the V1 being mounted high and picking up laser.
Mines just below the RVM but high enough, I have a slimmed down remote display in the top of the dashboard tucked on to the corner of the window.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I have my v1 mounted high and have been shot and picked up laser many times as well. I got lucky once and picked up a reflection on a car in front of me, slowed down, and then I got shot. One in a million probably. Detectors 99.9% of the time are completely useless against laser. I keep my speed down in the cities that use them, and I use extra caution on certain freeways, because state police also use them as well. Police also have instant on radar as well. I got busted at 3:00am on a deserted freeway last year. County sheriff was coming towards me, and got me for 12 over. It went from silent to a full blast radar in a split second. Out in the middle of a rural area without a single car for miles. He did cut me a break though so it stayed off my record.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Tap into the socket wiring for the self dimming mirror for power, use phone cord or get the hardwire kit.
Sorry no pictures, I did this months ago, works fine.
This is without accessory passport controller or new live updater stuff.
If you need the extras, find an ignition fuse location or use cigarette lighter wires.

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
Tap into the socket wiring for the self dimming mirror for power, use phone cord or get the hardwire kit.
Sorry no pictures, I did this months ago, works fine.
This is without accessory passport controller or new live updater stuff.
If you need the extras, find an ignition fuse location or use cigarette lighter wires.

I did something similar, I tapped into the dome light power. It was pretty clear what to do once I got the cover off, but I didn't take any pictures either.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Valentine sells a kit which one can use to plug into the computer adapter in the driver's footwell. The cable can then be run fairly neatly up the side by the door and down into the space between the dash and the window where it doesn't show. Not as neat as hard wiring, but pretty tidy with little work.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Yeah, well, that's the thing: detecting RADAR and LIDAR are at cross-purposes when it comes to positioning. To detect RADAR, the unit should be mounted as high as possible on the windshield, for the same reason radio antennas get better reception when they are mounted higher. To detect LIDAR, the unit should be mounted as low as possible to increase the chances of catching a stray photon from the light beam.

In truth, if the officer is skilled at aiming the LIDAR device, your windshield-mounted unit probably won't pick it up, wherever you mount it. LIDAR uses a very narrow beam of light and there is very little scatter. Even if your alert does go off, it will be too late--you're already caught.

If I was still inclined to use a detector, I would mount it high to catch the RADAR and hope I don't ever cross paths with LIDAR while speeding. This is the main reason I just don't bother with detectors anymore. I just keep my speed less than 10 MPH over the limit unless the majority of traffic is flowing faster than that. Never had a speeding ticket, so it's an effective technique.
Mounting it higher will help with laser scatter, but the only detector that really has a chance with laser scatter is the V1, otherwise it is just telling you that you have a ticket. the only real way around laser is with jammers.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I have my v1 mounted high and have been shot and picked up laser many times as well. I got lucky once and picked up a reflection on a car in front of me, slowed down, and then I got shot. One in a million probably. Detectors 99.9% of the time are completely useless against laser. I keep my speed down in the cities that use them, and I use extra caution on certain freeways, because state police also use them as well. Police also have instant on radar as well. I got busted at 3:00am on a deserted freeway last year. County sheriff was coming towards me, and got me for 12 over. It went from silent to a full blast radar in a split second. Out in the middle of a rural area without a single car for miles. He did cut me a break though so it stayed off my record.
yeah don't be speeding unless you have a rabbit car ;)

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I have no idea what that even means. It was a 2011 Taurus SHO.
lol. ok. well i guess you learned the hard way but you can't just speed all the time and expect the rd to save you. a rabbit car "sets off the trap" (cop uses i/o on them) and you pick it up, giving you time to slow down.

·
Registered
980 Posts
lol. ok. well i guess you learned the hard way but you can't just speed all the time and expect the rd to save you. a rabbit car "sets off the trap" (cop uses i/o on them) and you pick it up, giving you time to slow down.
Yeah a detector is just one tool to help you get less tickets. Using your eyes to watch for cops all around you is really your primary defense. I've been using rd's since 1976 when I got my first car. It was a BIG metal box called a "Fuzzbuster" that only detected 'X' band, which was OK as that was the only band the cops were using around here. It had a very limited range and constant false alarms. I've slowed down a bit over the years but I still feel naked if I drive a car w/o a RD. If for nothing else, it's nice to know when your speed is being measured and it does save me from a ticket from time to time.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
For you guys/gals who have it directly wired, were are your guys wires coming out of to plug into the detector, and where is the more popular mounting point. With the 9500ix, there is a GPS feature and it tells me it needs a clear view of the sky for it to work properly. I currently have it mounted about 3 inches above the SID unit.

This is the unit I have.
http://www.google.com/products/cata...=X&ei=dtXLT6CkGYOi8QSiuP2LDw&ved=0CJIBEPMCMAI

This is what I am talking about.
http://media.photobucket.com/image/recent/HOOTOWL37/MIRROR2.jpg

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/4092/9500ix2.jpg

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think I know what I am going to do. I got to looking around my dash after I came back home. I just need to buy a few things.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
For you guys/gals who have it directly wired, were are your guys wires coming out of to plug into the detector, and where is the more popular mounting point. With the 9500ix, there is a GPS feature and it tells me it needs a clear view of the sky for it to work properly. I currently have it mounted about 3 inches above the SID unit.

This is the unit I have.
http://www.google.com/products/cata...=X&ei=dtXLT6CkGYOi8QSiuP2LDw&ved=0CJIBEPMCMAI

This is what I am talking about.
http://media.photobucket.com/image/recent/HOOTOWL37/MIRROR2.jpg

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/4092/9500ix2.jpg
that mirror pic looks like a blend mount, idk if it works for our cars because of how our rear view mirror is set up.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts