SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If i don't run 93 octane my 2.3t 99 will knock? why? it never was this high maintenance before. It used to run fine on 89 octane. Also is it true that the 9-5 automatic transmission has no filter?

·
Registered
8 Posts
You need to run a bottle of Chevron Techron fuel system cleaner through your system. I had the same issue and this cured it-I run a bottle every 4 months or so. The carbon build up on the valves retains heat and eventually will glow red hot. It ignited the fuel before the intended time when the spark plug ignites causing a mis-fire condition. I also run exclusively on Shell gas as it is the only top tier rated fuel in our area.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
by proper ngk plugs what do you mean? i changed the plugs a couple months ago. but i was gonna pull them and see if they were gapped correctly, because i didn't gap them when i put them in b/c they were "pregapped" and I knew even less about cars then than i do now. And I actually am running my second bottle of techron through it now. the tank before i put in a bottle also. What are the proper plugs for the car? I also get gas from the same place all the time, and my dad brought it to my attention that it could just be the regular 89 octane gas the place is gettin could be crappy right now.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
True - there is no transmission filter on the 9-5.
Thanks, everything I see had said this but it sounded odd. I was told not to even mess with the fluid because it hadn't been serviced in so long. The fluid was brown, multiple people told me with the car being a gmc that if I changed the fluid now I could risk ruining my transmission.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Um, there is a transmission filter, but it is not serviceable because it is inside the transmission. You only have to run 93 if you have a tune that requires it. The car will run fine even with 87 octane since t7 regulates and adjusts the boost for running lower octane.

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
You should still change the fluid. Don't get a power flush, just change it three times, 3.5 litres or so each time, with a drive in between, so that you end up with nice fresh pink fluid in there.

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62718&highlight=24mm

NGK BCPR6ES spark plugs, and no others. I gap mine to 1 mm (spec is .9mm-1.1mm).

You should be able to run 87 without pinging.

·
Registered
8,299 Posts
will running more expensive plugs help performance etc?
No but higher octane gas will... Tell your dad your car has a turbo that squeezes every once of power out of every drop of gas and needs 92+ to run properly.

Um, there is a transmission filter, but it is not serviceable because it is inside the transmission. You only have to run 93 if you have a tune that requires it. The car will run fine even with 87 octane since t7 regulates and adjusts the boost for running lower octane.
Yes the car will compensate for sh!tty gas but remember it is compensating and reducing performance to do so

No. Use the plugs recommended for your car. Those would be the BCPR6ES and they should not be more than about $2 each.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So lets say I didnt put ngk plugs in... but plan on doing that tomorrow. And lets say I just recently changed some vacuum lines that I know increased my boost performance. And it happened to start knocking worse then. Since the plugs are used as the knock sensors, to adjust for crap gas, and I dont have the right plugs, and put in crap gas, and uped my boost, its gonna knock. But when I use better gas the car doesnt knock, Is my car basically not compensating for the crappy gas because it doesnt know to? Because I am a car noob and didnt put in the right plugs? haha

·
Registered
8,299 Posts
... and I dont have the right plugs, and put in crap gas, and uped my boost, its gonna knock. But when I use better gas the i don't hear the car knock, Is my car basically not compensating for the crappy gas because it doesnt know to? Because I am a car noob and didnt put in the right plugs? haha
Fixed, in bold.

What happens is the car can adjsut enough but is not doing it well you cannot HEAR teh knock, but I bet it still has pre-ingnition, just not enough fo you to hear it or the car to try its hardest to correct the problem.

You will be much happier ( and ab le to run [email protected] gas every so often as well) with the car's performacne with teh right plugs and right gas

1 - 17 of 17 Posts