SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 2006 Saab 9-5 with 184k and I recently have been noticing if the car sits for a awhile (overnight) it starts but it has a rough idle or starts, but I have to hold the key and give it gas for it to idle correctly. I’m getting the codes ran tomorrow but I wanted to come here and ask if anyone has some knowledge on this issue. Crankshaft sensor(s), MAF, help me out please!!!!

·
Registered
614 Posts
Check the condition of the evap hose at the back of the throttlebody down by the limp home solenoid. Check to see if the hose is Rotted at the throttle body connection. Use a flashlight as that hose is down between the throttlebody and the firewall.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I agree an evap. system tube might affect idling but if thats the problem what difference would holding the key make?.

Do you mean, ASaabDude, that you are holding the key in "start" to keep the engine turning over? Thats interesting as the idle speed is a lot faster than the starter rpm!

My money's on an electrical problem, and consequently the ignition switch unit (buried in the centre console below the ignition key cylinder). It enables all sorts of stuff and is responsible for numerous electrical abnormalities. Unfortunately you can't do anything to it without removing the centre console.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/293177001258?ul_noapp=true

Doug

·
Registered
614 Posts
Good point Doug. I’m going to be removing my dash and my instrument cluster to send it off for repair. I thought at first it was my switch, but since banging on the dash restores my needle functions, I’m convinced the problem is in the cluster.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts