SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just repleced the two front tyres on my 9-5 V6. I was quoted £135 per tyre. I thought that this was excessive but went ahead with the purchase anyway as i need them badly.

The new tyres are pirelli's, i cant remember what size. Does this cost seem excessive to you?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Depends on what size and model of tyre.
I paid £110 each for 215/55x16s W rated Uniroyal RainSports. I did some checking and balanced and fitted Pirelli P6000 and Michelin Pilot were coming in about the same price.
You might have paid slightly too much by maybe a tenner but not ripped off.

Get your size and plug it into this website for and idea of prices. Remember you have to add balance, valve, fitting and environmental disposal charges to these figures.

http://www.mytyres.co.uk/

X

·
0 Posts
Kwik Fit arnt the cheapest place to buy tyres, but they are convenient. Normally about £10 -£20 over the odds, so no you wernt ripped off..:)

·
Registered
126 Posts
I was looking for a pair of Pirelli P6000 225/45 R17 Y tyres earlier this year. The web based suppliers were quoting about £110-120 each, fitted and balanced.

For a comparision I rang a small tyre fitting place near where I live and they quoted me £92 each, fitted and balanced, so guess where I went! The guy even apologised because they'd just gone up from £90. No comfy chairs or waiting room, but I'd rather watch what's going on anyway.

The only other tyre I had to buy was when I had a puncture away from home. I didn't fancy driving back at 50mph so I stopped at the first place I found and it cost me £120.

My conclusion is that if you have the time it's worth a couple of phone calls.

dan_aero

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Barry, sure you could get them cheaper online, then wait for delivery, then get them fitted and balanced and then get rid of the old ones.................:roll:

You needed them, and you got them, simple as that, its the only thing that keeps the car on the road, I'd say you did just fine ;)

·
Registered
312 Posts
dan_aero said:
For a comparision I rang a small tyre fitting place near where I live and they quoted me £92 each, fitted and balanced, so guess where I went! The guy even apologised because they'd just gone up from £90. No comfy chairs or waiting room, but I'd rather watch what's going on anyway.
dan_aero
That wouldn't be Embassy tyres would it? Always get my tyres from there.

Best prices around.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Spare Deal - who I have no connection with, other than as a satisfied customer, and they're on my way home.

Agree with the comment about online tyre supply. Looks tempting at first but then you have be in to take delivery, find a fitter who'll put them on, get rid of the old ones etc, etc. Life's too short - useful for getting a guide price though.

Convenience is the key, whether it be KwikFit or whoever, but the small places will usually have lower overheads so it's worth giving them a try if you can.

Apologies for woffling on - in answer to the original post, £135 isn't a ripoff - just a straightforward high street price, and I'm sure there are plenty of places that would charge more.

dan_aero

ps. top tip - if you ever want to find a cheap tyre place - ask a taxi driver ;)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Finn said:
Kwik Fit arnt the cheapest place to buy tyres, but they are convenient. Normally about £10 -£20 over the odds, so no you wernt ripped off..:)
have to agree kwik fit aint a cheap bit to go but were i stay they are open on a sunday and that is real handy cause other bits are shut.saying that years ago kwik fit had an awful habit of going over the whole car trying to find faults or at least the kwik fit i go to used to:roll:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts