SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so tonight i went into my garage where my 01 9-5 aero is parked and while i walked by i noticed that the rear right tire is reeeeeally close to the wheel well... now i don't normally notice these things so i think its a change from the norm. i have stock suspension for the aero and i went out with a ruler and guesstimated that there's about a 2 inch difference between the right and left rear wheel well/tire distance. and while i was at that i also guesstimated the front... i found that on the left side my front wheel well/tire distance was smaller than the right side while it was reversed for the rear (left side larger than the right...)

is this a problem?...

i just had my 90,000 mile maintainence done (actually just bought the car used) and got the wheels realigned at brakes plus for $50 like 3 weeks ago... should i be regretting that?

the mechanic i went to for the service didn't say anything about my suspension when i took it in...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
199 Posts
Firstly you might want to move the car to make sure it isn't the place you have it parked.

Secondly my car often does weird stuff with the handbrake on and ends up with one wheel higher than the other. Try moving it/releasing the handbrake.

The shocks can slowly die (the rear ones are notorious for it) and sag over time but presumeably your mechanic should have noticed it.
Never fret, it means you can bolt in some uprated suspension :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
AdrianB said:
Firstly you might want to move the car to make sure it isn't the place you have it parked.

Secondly my car often does weird stuff with the handbrake on and ends up with one wheel higher than the other. Try moving it/releasing the handbrake.

The shocks can slowly die (the rear ones are notorious for it) and sag over time but presumeably your mechanic should have noticed it.
Never fret, it means you can bolt in some uprated suspension :)
thats what i was thinking... my house isn't exactly level... it's built on top of a mine and sinks... we've redone the basement like 3 times because of it.

also when i park in my garage i don't use the handbrake (it's an auto) but everywhere else i park i do use it

yea... well he never said anything about the suspension so next time i go in for an oil change i'll ask about it... maybe get some blisten hd's er w/e they're called

i was just worried that my car might be like ready to implode...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,845 Posts
AdrianB said:
Firstly you might want to move the car to make sure it isn't the place you have it parked.

Secondly my car often does weird stuff with the handbrake on and ends up with one wheel higher than the other. Try moving it/releasing the handbrake.

The shocks can slowly die (the rear ones are notorious for it) and sag over time but presumeably your mechanic should have noticed it.
Never fret, it means you can bolt in some uprated suspension :)
Shocks will not cause the suspension to sag, tired springs will though. The springs are what holds the shock to full length, and in fact, the spring is slightly compressed when on the shock even when there is no weight on the shock.

That much sag really isn't very possible unless the shock upper spring seat broke free and is resting against the bolt at the top. But if that happened you'd notice a VERY awkward and uncomfortable ride. Not to mention the left hand turns would be along the lines of terrifying. I agree, it's probably just how you parked.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22,211 Posts
SectorNine50 said:
That much sag really isn't very possible
Really..............you havent met my wife :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,845 Posts
Chris 9-5 said:
Really..............you havent met my wife :eek:
:::print!:::

Annnd it's in the mail, she'll love this christmas post card! :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
155 Posts
Ok, so my 9-5 is 10mm lower on the right than on the left; so you say this is the spring not the shock??
I think it's the shock.
Looks like I've got some fluid leak and the 'bounce' test would seem to confirm this.
I'll have a look next weekend
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22,211 Posts
sandstrain said:
Ok, so my 9-5 is 10mm lower on the right than on the left; so you say this is the spring not the shock??
I think it's the shock.
Looks like I've got some fluid leak and the 'bounce' test would seem to confirm this.
I'll have a look next weekend
They are a notorious weakspot I'm afraid :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,000 Posts
sandstrain said:
Ok, so my 9-5 is 10mm lower on the right than on the left; so you say this is the spring not the shock??
I think it's the shock.
Looks like I've got some fluid leak and the 'bounce' test would seem to confirm this.
I'll have a look next weekend
Shocks have very little to do with ride height. They don't have much pressure in them to lift the car - you can compress them by hand.

To measure ride height you need an absolutely flat surface (parking lots are great) and you have to drive straight on to the the spot where you're going to measure (can't stop while turning). The official factory way to measure is from the highest point on the fender lip over the wheel, to the lower edge of the wheel rim - that way there is no way tire differences can come into play.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,845 Posts
sandstrain said:
Ok, so my 9-5 is 10mm lower on the right than on the left; so you say this is the spring not the shock??
I think it's the shock.
Looks like I've got some fluid leak and the 'bounce' test would seem to confirm this.
I'll have a look next weekend
Like I said, it cannot be the shock unless the spring perch is damaged in some way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Me Too- I will be going to dealer - plan a fight!

I have an '03 9-5 Wagon- and sporadically the rear of the car sits so low that the tires almost touch the wheel wells- I can literally put only 1 finger between the body and the tire. However other times there is several inches clearance.

I am really converned about this- If travelling at speed the wheel well rubs the tires- it could cause a blowout!

I have read that my car may have acitve load levelling suspension- could this be the cause?

I will keep you folks posted on the outcome of this issue with the dealer-
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,845 Posts
thxguy said:
I have an '03 9-5 Wagon- and sporadically the rear of the car sits so low that the tires almost touch the wheel wells- I can literally put only 1 finger between the body and the tire. However other times there is several inches clearance.

I am really converned about this- If travelling at speed the wheel well rubs the tires- it could cause a blowout!

I have read that my car may have acitve load levelling suspension- could this be the cause?

I will keep you folks posted on the outcome of this issue with the dealer-
I'm willing to bet that when you notice this, you have the e-brake set. Because this car runs a trailing arm suspension, the torque of the brakes cause it to sit really low when parked and pressure is applied. If your suspension was sitting that low while driving, you would feel it hit the bump stops after every tiny bump.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top