SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having issues with getting the hatch open in my 1999. the key turns hard and it's been a bit of a wrestling match of turning the key and wiggling the hatch to get it open for a while now. I've clearly waited too long to get to the bottom of this as now it'll make a clicking noise at the latch like it's unlatching, but it doesn't. I can't get into the trunk anymore. So my 2 probs are:

1. how to get the trunk unlatched?
2. I tried replaced the latch a few years back but did not solve the issue. what should I look at next?

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
You'll have to climb back there and pull the paneling back. Once in there you should be able to get the latch to release. I dont know how exactly, but screw drivers and vise grips would be my tools for the spelunking expedition. Once you get it open, I'd look at taking out the lock cylinder and all the other bits that operate the latch for cleaning and lubrication. The hatch could be misaligned causing wear on the latch or the hasp.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Yes after removing the inside panels I got it free. The latch itself seems to work very hard even after lubing. The actuator operates but won’t move the latch into the unlocked position. The key can do it manually but it practically feels like the key will break off. I guess I need to replace the latch. I realized I had never replaced it after all ( the used one I bought was not quite same ) maybe the 2000-2002 latches are different? Anybody got one to sell?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts