SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I have been reading from this forum and other sources, the 9-3 has been plagued with numerous electronic and software glitches. I want to know form some '05 owners if they have had any of the same problems as the previous model year owners such as: Sunroof function, Engine stalls, radio probs and etc.

Thanks!

·
Registered
601 Posts
I think it all depends on the car, I have an 04 Arc and have had only slight issues, not enough to be an issue. For the most part people only post when they have an issue and you don't hear about the problem free cars.
The 03's had problems but so do most first year cars.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I am an owner of an 03 Linear and have been virtually trouble free myself. I have a relatively late build date (6/03), and think strides have been made on reliabitlity and assembly. However, there are going to be troublesome cars no matter what! All manufacturers have them.

But my recomendation would be to wait until the '06's come out. Reasons are twofold, The 2.0T becomes the base engine... And if you don't like the '06's or they are too expensive, you can always get a great deal on a left over '05.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Just an informal observation, it seems that this was how it went down.
2003: The Teething Year. Saab tries the new vehicle, and sees what shakes out. A lot does. Stuff goes back to the drawing board, options get re-evaluated. Service folk struggle with the complexity of the new vehicle, both new to Saab & technologically, and lack of training (from their own admission).
2004: The Option Shuffle Year. Saab tries to straighten out what country gets what options, and takes away a bunch of stuff. Some fixes have been introduced, and overall quality improves a bit. They somewhat adress different things, but not to many's satisfaction. Service folk have a better handle on the vehicle.
2005:Almost everything seems to be straightened out, and the winning formula seems almost set.
I think it's fair to say that the product has improved over time.
Just my off-the cuff impression.

It would be nice if someone would put together a qualitative version of my summary. Like problems 03's suffer but later ones don't (engine stalls, parking brake sticking, etc), as well as 04s. It would be helpful for future used-car buyers. Pretty soon we'll start seeing posts like "I am buying an 03, what should I look for?"
Anyone up for the challenge? :cheesy:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi
I got my MY05 in the end og August '04, 13000 km and no problems so far, just had to upgrade the software, my SID froze a couple of times

Regards
Svein

·
Registered
22 Posts
My second 9-3 - the '05 that replaced the '03 lemon - killed its own battery. This all started about a week ago, when unlocking the car made the radio turn itself on, and I couldn't turn it off. Strange electrical problem, I thought, and something I could live with untill I needed to take it in for service. Well, now the battery's dead. We got it jump-started, drove it around for about 2 hours to recharge it, and it was dead again in less than 24 hours. SOMETHING is causing the battery to discharge. When we did get it jump-started on Saturday, the one-touch windows were no longer one-touch (you had to hold the button until the window went all the way up), and the sunroof was all screwed up. It would close part-way, then open itself again. We managed to get it closed only at speed, on the freeway. Something in the electrical system is screwed up.

·
Registered
231 Posts
My opinion

After 30,000 miles, my 9-3 has been a problem free automobile with minor exception. The dealer experience remains top notch (at least here in Chicago). I have owned BMWs, MBs, and the 9-3 is a solid European car. That being said, don't buy one if you are expecting Japanese characteristics.

·
Registered
353 Posts
What's with the bad wrap on '03: My '03 Linear, post launch-package, has been reasonably trouble free up to 23,000 miles, and going strong.

Also, as they were indeed working options out: I was able to get a sports suspension, 17" sports wheels and tires, and Infotainment II (green screen) in a Linear at a Linear price...:D

·
Registered
98 Posts
ive just taken delivery of an 05my car and the day i was going to pick it up i got a call the dash had lit up with an esp warning

the sat nav could read a disc

the problem the windscreen wiper motor

1 - 15 of 15 Posts