SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to decide whether to replace my factory radio with an iPod compatible aftermarket unit ($400+ to do it right) or whether to try the iSimple set up from Best Buy which intergrates the iPod into the factory unit. Has anyone used these on their factory set up? And if so, how is it working for you? The cost is only $139 installed so it seems like it might be worth it just to be able to get access to the 1200 songs on my iPod. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
I hadn't seen that product before. Their web site is singularly uninformative about what vehicles are supported - they mention a "vehicle specific harness" but there is no list of for which vehicles harnesses are available.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It looks like for the Saab, there is only a universal unit. The guy at Best Buy explained that it worked on a FM system but blocked out the outside signals that usually makes those sort of adapters horrible. It looks to me that they tap into the inputs somehwere and its not FM driven.

·
Registered
87 Posts
There is a way to solder on a cable to your factory system and get an aux input for an mp3 player. I did this when I had my factory deck. If you can solder- it is not very hard. the only cost involved is a 4 dollar cable.

here is a guide:
http://www.saabinfo.net/files/pdf/Saab%209-5%20Line%20Input.pdf

you don't need to do all of the soldering connections, just the audio ones and leave a tape in the deck. It basically thinks it is reading a tape but you are giving it sound from your mp3 player. If I remember right the sound quality was as good as a cd player.

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
It looks like for the Saab, there is only a universal unit. The guy at Best Buy explained that it worked on a FM system but blocked out the outside signals that usually makes those sort of adapters horrible. It looks to me that they tap into the inputs somehwere and its not FM driven.
There are plenty of "FM Modulators" available. They tap into the antenna wire to the radio. You will not have steering wheel control of your ipod.

Can I also suggest finding a real car audio shop if you can't do it yourself? Stay far away from the hacks at the big chains.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts