SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just come in from buggering about under the car, and I can't find my catalytic converter. According to Haynes, it should be between the down-pipe from the head area, and before the straight pipe to the silencer, but it's not there, just a joint, and straight pipe!

Surely it can't have been passing all those MOT's without one, so is it somewhere I can't see it?

That's madness.

And not the ska band variety...

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
UK cars registered before July 1993 do not have to have a catalytic convertor. It's likely that a previous owner has removed it. They do still have to pass emmisions tests though, but not having a catalytic convertor does not mean you'll run into problems. SAABs in standard form are usually setup between 1.5% CO and 2.0% CO (well within the 4.0% limit).

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
You would have had one as standard, but it should go straight through the MOT without one.

Edit - posted at the same time as Orca. To the best of my knowledge the cutoff date is 01 August 1992, not 1993. Cars registered before that date have less strict emissions to meet.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for that, I was just a bit worried that there was the bulge in the floor pan where it should be, but nothing there but pipe!

I didn't think I needed one, but I was sure that there would have been one fitted. Why would you take it off though? Previous owner was a middle aged lady who didn't strike me as being a boy racer. Before that it was a Saab demonstrator car.

Odd.

And not in the Bill Oddie way.:confused:

·
Registered
154 Posts
Probably just the cat failed for some reason. It would make sense to me that simply removing it would be the most sensible course of action in that case. A new cat costs a small fortune, and if the car runs just fine without it, seems like common sense there...

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've just taken out my cat and oh my god it's a new car, the cat was totally blocked and was restricting alot of air flow, now the turbo spools up much faster and is pulling harder from 2500rpm. Who needs cats.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Do you got a Lambda sonde?? I got an Italian '91 16v fpt, which was originally delivered without cat and Lambda sonde.
Don't think the Italians have an environment. :)

I Holland it's mentioned on the registration papers if your car has a cat (the emision regulations the car complies with). My '87 T8 had a "K6" mark on the papers, so for the MOT I needed a visual cat on that car. My present T16 doesn't have that mark, so no need to have a cat. I don't know what the situation in the U.K. is. Maybe it's similar, just check your papers.

Blacky

1 - 9 of 9 Posts