SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
I'm doing my Carlsson in "black" should look good in a black car.

Simon @ PFS managed to get it from his supplier.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ha.

Looking for sincere replies only, please. Sorry, I'm a humorless stiff.

I'm thinking about a vinyl headliner like the ones you would see in an older BMW or VW. (Maybe in older SAABs too, I don't have that much experience with them.)

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
well I don't know how well vinal is going to stick to a fiberglass backing... give it a try, but I don't expect that it's going to stay stuck for very long.

·
Registered
262 Posts
im pretty sure without a mechanical fastener (like a pin or whatever) Vinyl will not hang on with glue. The headlining fabric is real light so it hangs on with a little spray glue.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
i know you wanted serious answers only, but i couldnt resist the opportunity to recount the tale of a mate from years ago who decorated the inside of his MG Montego (mmmm, nice wheels :nono; ) with novelty playing cards of the er..... "blue" variety.....

Surprised his girlfriends dad when he borrowed the car without telling him!!! :eek:

Just a thought
G

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Never done a headliner at all much less one that's vinyl, but I can give you a tip that I learned when covering the door panels with vinyl: choosing the right material is very important. Get the stuff that is very lightweight and very pliable. That is, choose the stuff in the fabric store that is the most like fabric.

If you look, there is a kind of vinyl-coated fabric (canvas?) that has a bit of texture and has a matte finish. This may be preferable to vinyl because it wouldn't be as shiny and it may reduce sound reflection much like the fabric headliner.

Just some thoughts.

·
Registered
84 Posts
hippies

i'm a bit of a hippie at heart, but i love my SAAB, so i replaced my saggy headliner with a tapestry, yes like the ones hanging on college dorm room walls, it looks great and is a lot better than saggy tan fabric that likes to shed little bits on passengers. I feel that if youre going to be working on your car yourself, why not make it personal? my headliner is unique and i routinely recieve compliments from hippies, children, parents (even my own father who wants me to put a tapestry up to replace his saggy headliner)

·
Registered
527 Posts
If you look at honda accords, their headliner is some kind of perforated vinyl.

I think that stuff would look good in the saab. I just don't know where to get the material or if it will stick to our shell.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
jefspg said:
If you look at honda accords, their headliner is some kind of perforated vinyl.

I think that stuff would look good in the saab. I just don't know where to get the material or if it will stick to our shell.
Eureka! I knew that I had seen this vinyl somewhere, but I couldn't remember where. Jef's post brought it to mind since I was looking at the site with a friend of mine that wanted to fix up his old Accord to sell it.

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/yourautotrim-store/vinauthead.html

Maybe the vinyl with the 1/8" foam backing would even out any irregularities in the headliner backing for a smoother appearance?

I ordered some SEM Vinyl dye and some Thermozite carpet padding from them just before Christmas and it shipped the next day! Highly recommended!

·
Banned
637 Posts
Dunno IF you've noticed but the Saab Headliner has more than few curves, wiggles and depressions.. It's gonna be REALLY tough to form Vinyl around those convolutions without it looking like something done by someone who lives in a Shopping cart.
Felt, Knits and the Semi standard Saab Foam backed material works perfectly.. Prolly why they used it :)

·
Registered
527 Posts
What a great store!

I finally found the vinyl/fuax leather material I need to redo the door panel inserts. :cheesy:

Another item off of the list!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts