SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have WIS, although it mentions RHD & LHD I'm still a bit unsure exact location of the Fan control & whether I need both sides trim off interior?

Any photos or info much appreciated.

·
Registered
766 Posts
How old is the car?

Up to 2005 IIRC the fan controller was on the right side, left of the driver’s left toes. The significant advice is that you can cut off the electronic part and splice it to the wires, avoiding the need to get the whole loom out. The 2006 on (Dame Edna) facelifts had a different loom, but the controller bit is identical, with the same 5 wires. I have a feeling the DE fan controller is on the left side in the RHD car.

Doug

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers. It's an MY02 Aero auto. Would this splicing be inside on the floor or under bonnet? I've done the blower itself so not too daunted by getting it out again - and have done the filter (from the LH ie passenger side)

·
Registered
907 Posts
As Doug says, you can splice - under the dash. I'm not familiar with RHD so I don't know if the controller is on the left or right side. On a LHD car, you remove the glovebox and it's visible in the footwell.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Hi again. The benefit of the splicing is to avoid the pain of removing the whole loom. I found that even with the motor out, there was a connector block I couldn’t get from the footwell into the fan bay. It seemed the hole was too small to allow it to pass through.

RHD - drop that flat panel with the diagnostic socket in it. Left of where your left toes would be is a clear piece of plastic, held by one or two 6 mm screws. The controller comes out toward to pedals and I had to carve a little insulating foam away to release it.

Cut the wires right at the controller so as to leave more slack to play with. I would have liked to solder it properly but didn’t fancy lying on my back doing so. Some remove pedals but I didn’t.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok cheers for info. I guess I'll try to find a working used item without all the wires. Did you join them with little pin connectors, or??

·
Registered
907 Posts
I have a LHD and used male/female spade connectors soldered to the cut wires. I used connectors so I could detach the controller in the future if necessary. Be aware that there are two black wires in the loom that perform different functions - be sure to keep them separate. To distinguish them, I alternated the male and female connectors so they could only be connected the correct way..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts